No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Can someone help me ID this ltd edition Paperweight please ?  (Read 2938 times)

Offline 2025dave

• Members
Can someone help me ID this ltd edition Paperweight please ?
« on: November 15, 2006, 09:40:52 PM »
Hi , it's been a while since I last visited this site and the 1st time to question about a Paperweight , glad to meet you all and I hope you can help an Irish chap like myself.

http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/paperweight023.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/paperweight020.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/paperweight017.jpg
http://i62.photobucket.com/albums/h116/2025dave/paperweight011.jpg

All that's on the bottom of this paperweight is a scratched 423/750 so I presume it is a limited edition by someone !
It is not a dump round one but more tall and thin . The design of the leopard looks to be carved into the glass , but the green is barely under the surface . Has anyone any ideas of the maker please ?
It was amongst other glass from the 1920s and 30s some of which was Lalique and valuable , it has some wear to the base so i guess it is of a similar age !

Many thanks , Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline RAY

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 12:41:47 AM »
i'd say it was made in the caithness factory
cheers Ray

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 08:19:04 AM »
Thanks for your response Ray .

I had thought Caithness but what put a doubt in my mind was the fact that they are influenced by local flora and fauna .
Have you any idea if all Caithness paperweights were signed ?

Many thanks , Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2006, 09:02:24 AM »
I thought all Caithness was signed unless it was a 'second' or a trial piece :?  But why would someone get as far as inscribing the edition number on it and then reject it?   :shock:  It doesn't look as if there would be any reason for it to be a second, but it can't be a trial piece if it's number 423 of 750!  

Perhaps I was wrong, and not all Caithness are signed?  Anyone confirm?   :?
Leni

Offline daveweight

• Members
Caithness Paperweight
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2006, 03:16:51 PM »
It looks very much like one of the Caithness Krystal range of paperweights but these were all editions of 500 and were signed by the artist who engraved them. I have checked the leaflet and it isn't shown there
Dave

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2006, 03:25:08 PM »
Quote from: "Leni"
I thought all Caithness was signed unless it was a 'second' or a trial piece :?  But why would someone get as far as inscribing the edition number on it and then reject it?   :shock:  It doesn't look as if there would be any reason for it to be a second, but it can't be a trial piece if it's number 423 of 750!  

Perhaps I was wrong, and not all Caithness are signed?  Anyone confirm?   :?

I did have the first engraved paperweight - the fish one - and that just had the limited edition number nothing else, but there was no doubt that it was the John Dory by Colin Terris. I can't imagine they would number a second quality piece into a limited edition either. So perhaps the older ones maybe slipped through the net?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2006, 03:54:16 PM »
Thanks everyone , maybe I will chance contacting Caithness , it is odd that it's not signed and only numbered , were any sold with only a sticker on them ?
I always end up with "what the heck is it items" , I hate giving up so I shall carry on my search as it is nice and was amongst some other valuables !

Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline 2025dave

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2006, 06:24:24 PM »
I have been reading through your forum and have been amazed at your combined knowledge , what a fantastic resource this is . I see there are paperweight makers here too .

I will be hanging about to soak up more knowledge myself , once again thanks and I hope someone one day will recognise my Leopard (or possibly cheeta).

By the way , I am a commercial fisherman from Ireland ,though as a hobby (and a little earner) I enjoy dabbling in antiques and collectibles in the winter.

Dave.
Ebay User 2025Dave

Offline davem

• Members
Re: Can someone help me ID this ltd edition Paperweight please ?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2013, 03:52:41 PM »
A 13 year bump  :D

I did get in touch with Caithness but they said NO , A) Because it is not signed , and B) that the limited edition text was not the same.
Any other ideas ? I'd imagine that there are some new faces here after 13 years .
Also , this is not round , is there a name for this shape ?

Many thanks in advance , Dave.

Offline Wuff

• Members
    • Scotland's Glass
Re: Can someone help me ID this ltd edition Paperweight please ?
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013, 05:43:51 PM »
It looks indeed very close to a Caithness Krystals weight ...
I have never seen one signed Caithness, but they usually carry the engraver's name or initials (although I cannot be sure this applies to all, of course).
As has been pointed out, edition size was usually 500 (with a few designs only 100) - so 750 is unusual.
It has also been pointed out that topics were usually related to local fauna or flora - but there is a Hummingbird Krystal (the bird - not the moth!) - so I cannot exclude a leopard either.

What are the exact dimensions of your weight? I have only one Krystals weight on my shelf right now - a seal:
height 79 mm
diameter 84 mm
thickness 22 mm (base) / 8 mm (top)
weight 189 g
How does that compare with your weight?
Wolf Seelentag, St.Gallen
Interested in any aspect of Scottish glass? Have a look at Scotland's Glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand