No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is this latticino and is this turtle Murano?  (Read 2330 times)

Offline loveglass

• Members
Is this latticino and is this turtle Murano?
« on: November 16, 2006, 01:16:10 AM »
I heard this was a great place to get help :D I think that both these pieces are Murnao but not really sure. Does anybody know anything about these pieces? Age who made them. Thanks so much!! I hope my pictures work.

http://i9.tinypic.com/4cljhqc.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/3ywio7n.jpg

http://i15.tinypic.com/2n7mdd4.jpg

Offline chuggy

• Members
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 11:28:30 AM »
Hi there and welcome to the GMB. Your bowl is certainly latticino, also called zanfirico in some quarters.
The turtle is definitely Murano and made by either Seguso or Barbini I've seen this same decoration and technique from both companies.
Hope this helps.
Paul
There is no distance on earth as far away as yesterday.

Offline loveglass

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2006, 03:36:55 PM »
:lol:  :lol: Thank you so much Paul, I was really hoping that they were Murano. I have two of Lisa Pina's books but they don't show the two I have. Do you think these are from the 50's? The bowl is beautiful and how they got the center that way boggels my mind. Thanks again.

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 04:32:16 AM »
Hi loveglass, and welcome!
On the bowl, I think more likely Fratelli Toso.
Im unsure about the turtle.
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline loveglass

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 04:50:26 AM »
Thanks you Javier I will do some researching and see what I can find under Fratelli Toso.  :D  :D

Offline loveglass

• Members
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2006, 12:07:24 AM »
Would the bowl be a later peice say after 1960's? And I can't find anything on the turtle but it looks like Barbini to me but I am far from any king of expert. The reason I say this is because of the gold anc the controled bubbels. It is amazing the the legs haven't been broken or the neck.
George

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2006, 01:35:54 AM »
I would like to add a cautionary comment ...

When looking in books about Murano (or older Venetian) glass, it is easy to get a mixed idea of what the various techniques are called. In some, the Anglicised words (with English and American variations) are used and would state such as "Latticino" (or "Latticinio" - with the extra "i") for items such as the bowl. Also, "Filgree" is used a lot to cover almost anything with twisted threads, and some references would use "Filigrana" where there are twisted threads of colour as well as plain white.

Other books, particularly those written by Italian authors, may use only the Italian (or Muranese) terms. Thus, for the bowl, they may describe it as "Filgrana a retortoli" or perhaps "Vetro a Retortoli" and would give no mention whatever of "Latticino". And for items with white threads only, these books may use "Lattimo" in preference to "Filigree".

I don't want to confuse - just to raise an awareness of the difficulties that can arise when starting to check the books etc.
 :D
KevinH

Offline loveglass

• Members
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2006, 02:18:24 AM »
KevH Thanks for the insight, I am new at Murano and I guess it can get somewhat confusing, that is why I came here  :D I will keep on researching and try to find items just like mine.
George

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
finding FT
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2006, 03:01:58 AM »
You can check out the Fratelli Toso website at:

http://www.fratellitoso.it

The link below is to a good Murano site, especially the "glass companies directory." Most of the glass factories listed have active websites.

http://www.vetrodimurano.org/

Offline loveglass

• Members
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2006, 03:59:30 PM »
Thank you for the info, I have hit those sites and what beautiful glass. I still have not found out the age of the bowl and who made the turtle, still searching.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand