No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Dartington Vase  (Read 1590 times)

Offline adam20

• Members
    • Retro glass and ceramics
    • Scotland
Dartington Vase
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:38:14 PM »
Here is a heavy cased vase in pink/lilac colour. 9 inches high. Marked Dartington to base. I am not by my books right now (Mark Hill) so can't check. I think it's newish 80s 90s as it has the acid etched mark. Could it be by Belinda Hornsey?

Offline Paul S.

• Members
Re: Dartington Vase
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 08:47:29 PM »
from the pix I can find, this lady seems to have been responsible for the 'Intimates' range produced by Dartington around 1997/98 - which were produced in clear crystal, and cased shades of blue, green and lavender  -  BUT Hornsey's shapes seem to have been only the convex and concave bulbousy sort of things (Scandi looking) - not plain ones like yours.    So, this one may well not be from Belinda Hornsey  -  and possibly one of the other designers.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »
the right hand blue example is the sort of thing definitely attributable to Hornsey, although I'm not 100% sure about the lilac coloured vase, although it's a possible..........I'm not very well up on Dartington, and the books tend to concentrate on the earlier material, and it would seem that neither the Smithson's or Mark Hill's books indexes this designer.          The paper label on both of these is that used during the 1990's - both of these also carry the sandblasted upper case name of DARTINGTON  -  the sizes are 10" and 7" for lavender and blue respectively.
The only book I have in which I can see Belinda Hornsey's 'Intimates' range is Leslie Jackson's 20th Century Factory Glass'.

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2013, 08:30:29 AM »
.........in fact there is a single picture in Hajdamach's '20th Century British Glass' which obviously I'd overlooked - showing four pieces from the  'Intimates' range, one of which happens to be my large vase above, but none like your piece Adam.
Don't think I'd agree with the use of the word lavender - in the flesh they look more like amethyst.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand