No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Crystal Jar Dresser Jar? Humidor  (Read 1820 times)

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Crystal Jar Dresser Jar? Humidor
« on: November 16, 2006, 05:02:59 PM »
Hi everyone,

I have another puzzle on my hands--or rather, a piece that's out of my range of knowledge. It's a beautiful crystal jar with a ground lid and base. It seems European to me and probably Victorian, but I don't typically collect crystal and 85% of my collection is American, so I'm out of my comfort zone. Any idea of who the maker might be? And what kind of jar is it? I thought it might be a dresser jar or a humidor. Check out pictures 4 through 7 in my album. Thanks in advance for your help!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4149

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2006, 07:09:58 PM »
Could be a pickle jar. I haven't had the chance to check the pattern / maker, but I am just making a quick response re. shape.

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline vintagerose

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2006, 06:49:22 AM »
Is there any mark on the bottom?
It looks like it could be Victorian, #1425 by A.H. Heisey 1933-53 Victorian is usually marked with an H inside a diamond.
They made a 3 ounce oil bottle.
Duncan made a similar pattern called Duncan Block.  
I can't tell how big your bottle is, so I thought I would through this in the pot.
Vintagerose
When a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Heisey or Dugan
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2006, 01:21:14 PM »
First of all, thanks for mentioning that it could be a pickle jar. I hadn't thought of that!

Secondly, I'd considered Heisey's Victorian pattern, which really does look strikingly like my jar, but I'd kind of ruled it out because I didn't think they made a jar like this or any kind of jar in this pattern. Plus, the ground bottom and ground lid didn't seem like Heisey to me--at least nothing I'd seen before. Am I wrong about this? (I'll try to upload a photo of the bottom of my jar sometime today. It might be of help.)

I'd also seen a biscuit jar in Dugan's Block on Ebay and concluded that it couldn't be the same pattern because the bottom of mine is smooth, plain, and ground at the edges, while this one had a radial pattern on the bottom. But then, just now when I was looking at the same listing again, I noticed that its bottom is very similar to the top of my jar. Could this be enough of a similarity to make it the same pattern?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280048552381

I guess my main issue is that my book on EAPG is from the 1970s and does not list every item in a pattern. My local library does have several nice new EAPG books, which I will look at as soon as I can, but I'm wondering if anyone out there could tell me whether there was a pickle jar, dresser jar, or humidor made in Dugan's block pattern. Also, I forgot to list this jar's measurements, which might help determine its purpose-- 5 1/2 inches tall and 3 inches in diameter.

So this might be EAPG after all! Thanks for your help!

Offline vintagerose

• Members
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2006, 03:47:08 PM »
Yes a picture of the bottom would help, maybe lol........
I do see some detail on the victorian block in my book, & some pieces in the same pattern are plain,,,, go figure.
Also, as I read up, apparently Imperial got ahold of the Victorian molds, and made some pieces in crystal also.  However Victorian pieces should be marked the  with H inside a diamond.
So my best guess is either you do have Duncan block, which I don't have a listing of all the pieces they made, or you have a piece of Victorian made by Imperial, after they removed the Heisey mark. Good luck identifying those, you need a crystal ball.
Vintagerose
When a dog runs at you, whistle for him"
Henry David Thoreau

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
Duncan Block
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2006, 06:00:30 PM »
Thanks for your help. I do appreciate it. I am beginning to feel that this is probably Duncan block or perhaps a similar EAPG pattern. I looked at some other Duncan block items on ebay that have ground lids and bottoms, and they just look so similar to my jar. I can't believe I'd ruled it out, so I thank you for making me take a second look! :)

As to Heisey, I seriously doubt it's their Victorian pattern, since there's no mark (although Heisey didn't always mark their pieces and Imperial did use the diamond H mark for a while before removing it from their molds) and more importantly, it just seems older than from the 1950s or later, with the way its been made and the wear on the bottom.

Some confirmation that Duncan made a jar of this type would be nice, but if I don't hear from anyone, I'll just have to schlep over to the library next week!

Thanks again!

Kristen

Connie

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2006, 12:32:17 AM »
I can look in my Duncan book when I get home tomorrow.

Connie

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2006, 06:23:49 PM »
Not Duncan or Heisey as far as I can tell from my reference books.

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
The search continues . . .
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2006, 07:26:13 PM »
Thanks for checking Connie! I was really hoping it would be Duncan, but I guess I'll have to keep looking. My big question--Is it American or European? Does anyone have any further insights or know where I should look next? Thanks!

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2006, 07:39:16 PM »
Hello:

Typically these items with the ground glass lid are called apothecary jars by EAPG collectors.  I don't know if that is a collector's term or an original manufacturers term.  I suspect the former.  

These don't seem practical as a pickle jar.  Just think about the disasterous effect of getting sticky pickle juice on that ground glass surface - you would never get the lid off again.

Sid

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand