No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Green Goddess  (Read 22412 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
Green Goddess
« on: January 26, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »
Please can someone help me with a moment of nostalgia  :roll:

I wonder if anyone else can remember a drink called Green Godess, which came in a green glass bottle shaped like a woman?  Every Christmas back in the 1950's my mum used to get some, and as a child I just LOVED that bottle!  Come to think of it, it's probably when my love of glass first began!

I was quite shocked recently when someone told me Green Godess was another name for Absynthe  :shock:  I just can't imagine my old mum, who never drank very much at all except the occasional sherry and lemonade at Christmas, drinking Absynthe - but there you go!   :oops:

So ... Does anyone else remember Green Godess?  Was it really Absynthe?  Does anyone have a picture of the bottle?
Or did I dream it?  :wink:

BTW, I still collect empty bottles and jars, if they are interesting shapes.  My children have always said I was mad, but I say what are the bottle collectors of the future going to collect if everybody these days recycles everything?   :lol:

Leni
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Green Goddess
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2005, 05:32:03 PM »
It is still legal in many parts of Europe but most that you can find now in England, and probably the fifties, is just high proof alcohol.  You can still find it made from Wormwood.

I applaud your collecting approach I have a few such bits tucked away. Any chance for a picture of your bottle?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Green Goddess
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 11:04:06 PM »
Leni, I'm with you on this. I too collect interesting shaped bottles. Mine do get used periodically for some of the liqueur kits we make, or for ginger cordial. In fact we go around supermarket wine sections and buy drinks (not all alcoholic!) based on the bottles they come in!!!  :lol:
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Leni

• Members
Green Goddess
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 12:20:38 AM »
Quote from: "Frank"
Any chance for a picture of your bottle?

Sadly, I don't have an example of the Green Godess bottle Frank - would that I had!   :(

My mother never kept anything - she hated anything old and even chopped up and burned antique furniture!   :cry:

I think I am probably such a mad collector of everything old as a reaction to this - my house is full of antiques and old junk  :roll:

I wish I did have a Green Godess bottle!  I just hoped someobody else reading this might have one, or a picture of one, purely out of nostalgia (and to reassure me that my memory is accurate)   :wink:

Leni
Leni

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Green Goddess
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2005, 09:26:55 AM »
:P It sounds like an interesting experience. A bit pricey, but no figurative bottles on the shop linked from that site! Still, now we know what Absinthe glasses look like. Checked out some other sites, a huge range available but the UK targetted ones are extortionately priced.

I wonder what the impact has been on Czech glass design.... Marcus?

Anonymous

Green Goddess
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2005, 10:07:08 AM »
Leni:  "I just can't imagine my old mum, who never drank very much at all except the occasional sherry at Christmas, drinking Absynthe"

"My mother never kept anything - she hated anything old and even chopped up and burned antique furniture!

Did she by any chance do most of her antique chopping during the festive season?   :lol:

Max xx

Offline Leni

• Members
Green Goddess
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2005, 11:00:22 AM »
Good point!  

She did do most of her chopping up in the winter - she used to say, "We need fuel, not this old stuff!"   :cry:

I still can't believe she actually drank absynthe!  If she did, I'm sure she didn't know what it was!  She had led a very sheltered life :roll:

Thanks everyone who has posted info about absynthe, but still no clues about the Green Goddess woman-shaped bottle - which was my real interest!   :?

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

Green Goddess
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 08:57:55 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"

still no clues about the Green Goddess woman-shaped bottle - which was my real interest!   :?

However, I did find (by Googling) an example of a minature bottle from the '50's containing something called Green Goddess which was described as a 'wine aperitif'.  So my old mum wasn't an absinthe imbiber after all!   :lol:  

I'm quite pleased about that actually, as I remember her giving me a little taste, which I'm sure she wouldn't have done if it was absinthe  :shock:

Now I just have to track down the bottle!   :roll:

I have emailed a guy on a bottle collectors' site and am waiting to hear if they can help me.  

Leni

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Green Goddess
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 01:37:36 AM »
Interesting uranium green glassware for absinthe drinking here too: http://www.absinthemuseum.com/absinthe/absinthiana3.html
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand