No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: How many rarities - Ysart Glass  (Read 2284 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How many rarities - Ysart Glass
« on: November 18, 2006, 04:40:01 PM »
I see Ian Turner has listed one of the better known rarities of Monart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=330049951092

It is remarkable how few such rarities exist, I am sure that others are tucked away in collections still but many have appeared and reappeared again. But never a duplicate. Perhaps a mathematician could calculate how many such one-off's were made from the recorded data on known collections. But as many of the one off's appear to have been made with a personal element they could still have pride of place in the original recipients family collection. I can think of only a few dozen pieces I would put into this category of one-offs and even less for Vasart - although these are still coming out of the woodwork.

With the paperweights produced by Paul Ysart at Moncrieff, very few survive with the Moncrieff label. Speculation is that Jokelson removed all of the labels before distributing and maybe this will be revealed in the fortcoming book.

It is unfortunate that there is no realistic way of estimating production in the pre-war (WWII) period due to its sporadic nature. Post war it should be more possible but sadly detailed accounts have been lost.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
wow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2006, 02:54:59 AM »
Regarding Jokelson removing the labels, now that's incredibly interesting.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How many rarities
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 02:58:47 AM »
This came from a collector who bought many PY's by mail order from Jokelson but we are not certain that they were applied in Scotland. Although it would have been out of character to not apply them.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
why
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 03:03:43 AM »
I guess I'd want to know Jokelson's reasoning for removing labels.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How many rarities
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 11:27:52 AM »
Simple economics, remove the information of possible alternative sources.

Offline wrightoutlook

• Members
ah
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 01:25:34 PM »
Got it.

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
How many rarities
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2006, 01:48:07 AM »
Re: Paul Jokelson and removal of Monart labels ... my own thoughts on the matter ...

There are not many PY weights known with both a py cane and a Monart label and the very few examples I have seen could all easily be from the pre-Jokelson years.

But .. it was, apparently, the "exclusive" use of the py signature cane - not any particular label - that showed a Paul Ysart weight from the mid-50s onwards to be for the American market via Jokelson's distribution. So, on that basis, maybe they did have labels applied and maybe Jokelson did remove them?

There are many known unsigned PY weights that do have a Monart label and of the ones I have seen, several are very likely from the mid-50s at the time when Paul Jokelson had begun his contract with Paul Ysart.

I wonder whether Moncrieff's simply honoured the contract bewteen the two Pauls and, from that time, only added Monart labels to the unsigned, and hence non-American-specific, weights.
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
How many rarities
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2006, 11:29:08 AM »
It will always remain conjecture unless someone who worked for Jokelson was found that could answer the question.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: How many rarities - Ysart Glass
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2007, 05:17:57 PM »
Just another thought on this subject. Moncrieff were always fastidious about marking or labelling their glass in general, even the smallest bits of tubing!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand