No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Canadian Altaglass  (Read 11476 times)

Offline David555

• Members
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
It looks like only one label has 'Walsall England' on it http://altaglass.ca/content/view/21/34/ 'The company soon began using a black and gold diamond-shaped sticker, printed for them in England. These stickers look silver on many of the pieces you find today.' I wonder if they were printed in Walsall?

Stranger things have been known

Aghhhh ... I see Anne has already covered that above so just ignore me :oops:

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2006, 12:00:08 PM »
Quote from: "Frank"
That makes no sense, printers do not usually advertise prominently on product stickers of the customers! Certainly not without the name of the printer. It would seem like they had a sister company, perhaps a sales office, in the UK.

I tend to agree: point of origin for the maker is far more likely. I've seen glass like this in the UK, although some Chalet Glass is similar, but perhaps this is the answer.

As John Furch worked in the British glass industry until 1949, he might very well have retained links & contacts in the UK.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline David555

• Members
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2006, 05:35:45 PM »
Hi

Sorry Frank, I posted without seeing that idea had already been suggested and debated.

Black Country Glass 'The area known as the Black Country is roughly based on a huge coal-field with the towns of Wolverhampton, Walsall, Smethwick and Stourbridge at its corners'

So Walsall has a glass making history.

Also Walter, is there any mention of a connection between Altaglass and Walsall in Mary Coward's book - or the label?

Adam P
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2006, 05:41:51 PM »
... and Chance Brothers was situated in the Black Country.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Kanadiana

• Members
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2006, 09:03:02 PM »
Quote from: "paradisetrader"

Exactly my thought but the Alta~ name seems to have some connection with the Medicine Hat area........ :roll:

"Alta" "ALTA" is an abbreviation of the Province's name - ALBERTA.
Medicine Hat is a town in the Province of Alberta ;)

Sorry I don't know glass and their makers and have no idea
what the connection to England might be on the labels.

Canadian Kanadiana :)

Offline walterb

• Members
Altaglass labels
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2006, 01:02:50 PM »
I have posed the question on why the name Walsall is on the Altaglass labels  to Derek and Ann Mcnaney who are the authors of "Swan Song" The story of Altaglass; who in my mind are probably the most knowledgeable on Altaglass, and I will get back to the forum when I hear anything.

I quote out of Derek and Anne's book " In the late 1930's John Furch, his wife and daughter, Margarete, were helped to England by the Czechs and British........In England, Furch worked on a farm for a year, but when war broke out he resumed his previous occupation of welding, then quickly switched to glass making at Nazeing Glass Works near London.  In 1942 he became foreman in a new glass plant in Yorkshire, England.  Two years later he returned to the Nazeing Glass Works and remained there until 1949 when he emigrated to Canada...." and hence the story of Altaglass begins.

Yes the Company Altaglass was located in Medicine Hat Alberta.  Medicine Hat, a City in the Province of Alberta, Canada is located in a major oil and gas field and that is what originally attracted John Furch, the founder of Altaglass to set up his Company there; a cheap source of natural gas.

Someone posed the question if the website www.altaglass.ca was mine.  No this is Mary Coward's the author of the earlier book on Altaglass.

Regards

Walter

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Canadian Altaglass
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2006, 02:01:14 PM »
Hi Walter,

I corrected your spelling of Nazeing, there is an old article about them on my site.

http://www.ysartglass.com/Otherglass/Nazeing.htm

Interesting that there is now a link between these two glassworks!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand