No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Peculiar 'Dostal' or 'Oostal' paperweight  (Read 3116 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Peculiar 'Dostal' or 'Oostal' paperweight
« on: November 29, 2006, 10:55:56 AM »
I bought this the other day, hoping that it was by Vladimir Dostal - perhaps Beranek, as the listing said 'L Dostal' and I thought maybe they'd misread the 'V'.  It's a really peculiar piece, and now I've got it, I still don't know - even with the signature.

About 3" square and about 2" high, featuring a submerged slice of blue glass with mirror glass (???) inset into it and silver splash design.

The thing is well made, with bevelled edges and geometric style cuts to the top edges.  See pics for photo of signature.  I got a few hits for Oostal on Google, but no glass studios...   :?:

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4241

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4242

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4240

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4239   Signature

Edited to remove double photo.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2006, 11:29:16 AM »
There is a place called Oosta on the Gulf Islands in British Columbia, that is apparently a haven for artists... I can't find anything definite, but there looked like a little accent between the a and l in Oostal, maybe it is from one of the artists there?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2006, 03:45:30 PM »
Hi Max, i think it is Dostal, on the Beranek  site they do sell square and cubed weights and other designes by Dostal, hope you struck lucky :D

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2006, 05:20:50 PM »
Thanks Lynne & Dexter  :D The trouble is, I just can't square the amount of work involved in this design with a small studio.  It seems unlikely that a small group of artisans could make something like this, doesn't it?  On the other hand, L Dosta'l (I've tried all manner of variations) doesn't come up with anything.  Dostal is presumably a Czech name, but I can't find anything like this anywhere - but perhaps that person isn't producing glass now...and it doesn't account for the apostrophe.   :roll:

If no-one comes up with anything, I will email Beranek.  That will shut off one avenue at least!

Edit:  I've rooted around and I'm thinking the apostrophe is actually an accent over the a.  That would link in with Czech and possibly Polish spelling of the name Dostal.
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2006, 09:55:49 AM »
Oh well.  I emailed Beranek and they said it's not one of theirs.  It was very kind of them to answer though.
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand