No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Unidentified glass fish goldfish?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline selina

• Members
Unidentified glass fish goldfish?
« on: November 29, 2006, 11:44:56 PM »
Hi all,

Ive had this fish for a few years...about 13 actually and Ive always wondered about it. It belonged to my husband's grandmother and was given to us after she passed away. It was my first piece of glass. Ive always kept an eye out for something similar but havent seen one. But then again, my knowledge is fairly limited.

The fish goldfish? is 23cm from base to tip of tail. The base is solid as are the fins, eyes and tail. But the body is totally hollow. Still quite heavy though. The green part is overlayed almost. Id love to know anything about this if anyone can recognise a maker. There are no marks on it of course. If noone knows anything, thats fine too. I enjoy looking at other ppl's glass and hope someone enjoys seeing my fish :)

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4265
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4264
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4263
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4262

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2006, 06:13:32 AM »
Hello Selina,

I have utterly no idea where your fish came from, but it might help if you update your profile to say where you are from. Sometimes knowing where a piece was found helps pin down the maker.

Is the piece hollow? Just a wild guess (and maybe to prompt someone who knows better ;) ) but I wonder whether it's a frigger of some sort? Hopefully someone will shoot the idea down in flames if it's completely off the wall!

Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline selina

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2006, 04:34:22 AM »
Hi Cathy,

Yes, I wrote that it was hollow in the body.
Ive updated my profile...Im from Australia, but I dont often find that helps, as there are so many migrants here, we have glass from everywhere. And it was in my husbands grandmothers house, they were part Irish, part Aboriginal, part English..so..the fish could have come from anywhere. But she lived in Australia for her 80 odd years next to Italians, Greeks, you name it, so it could also have been a gift.
Maybe sometimes its good when noone can identify the glass..at least it doesnt make it a run of the mill everyday piece :)

Selina
Trudy

Ignorance is preferable to error, and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2006, 07:17:09 AM »
It is a lovely piece, Selina. I love the way that the fins flow.

all the best,
Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Unidentified glass fish goldfish?
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2007, 05:18:25 PM »
Looks like Murano to me! But goodness knows where, espcially because of how long your family has had it.
Fish ( the isle of murano off Venice) is a favourite subject for glass makers many iof who commute to work by boat every day. Other italians also make fih as do belgian makers but usually bigger and more colours.
Yours is quite cute and slightly early Disney like!
Did a venitian glassmkaer watch an early disney film and get inspired the next day? Did he try to cash in on tghe number of american's who visit venice and Murano and hook an Austalian by mistake? Who knows, but enjoy your mystery fish!

( If man knew the answers to all the mysteries of lif , what a boring sod he would be! me 2007!)  :-*

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand