No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ysart Magnum. ID = Paul Ysart  (Read 2653 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
Ysart Magnum. ID = Paul Ysart
« on: December 01, 2006, 09:11:34 PM »
One for Kev.   This one that Cheffins sold (also eBay live auction) made a lot of money.
THere has been some discussion about its merits on the other board (which you don't visit often enough!!). It's a biggy at 12 cm Which part of the family is responsible
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Ysart Magnum
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 01:06:23 AM »
It was by Paul Ysart.

I have a similar one which is neater although not quite as bright. Mine is shown at the top right of my "home page" and also in my selection of what I called "horizontal twist" weights:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/catalog/py-horizontal-twist.htm
It can also be seen in a larger photo at:
http://www.kevh.clara.co.uk/exhib99/Modern/Scottish/YsartPaul/ModYsartPaulFiligree03.htm

I have seen others in the same pattern. Some were smaller and two were much larger.

As I had another committment in the Cambridge area that day, I decided to view the weight with the idea of leaving a bid. I was aware that there was interest, including from America, but I still expected a maximum hammer price of around the £500 mark (with premium etc, taking the full cost to the £600+ area).

On examination, I noted, in addition to the stated bruise to the base, two minor bruises and a chip to the dome, as well as a small lump of devitrification (frit) in the upper side interior. As far as I could tell, these were not mentioned in the auction description, which simply said "some light scratching"

On the basis of the bruises, chip and frit, I decided that I would not go for it. And anyway, with the known interest from many places, I suspected the eventual price would be quite a bit above my own maximum - even if it was in very good condition.

But £1,500 hammer price was, to my way of thinking, extremely high. But for those who bid more than £500, I imagine it was something they were happy to pay for as a example of a less-common pattern and a weight of magnum size.

Oh, one other thing ... my example is exactly 11 cm diameter. When I handled the Cheffins one, I did not feel it was really 12 cm. But it may be just that mine has a higher (more rounded) dome and therefore the Cheffins one felt lighter, so I was fooled into thinking it was not as big as stated. I did not have a measure with me, so I did not check it.

------------

By the way ...
... on the other board (which you don't visit often enough!!).
Which "other board" is this? Are you meaning the one that, I think, was set up some time ago for the "London Glassaholics group"? If so, because I was not part of that Group, I never joined that Board.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
Ysart Magnum
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 04:52:29 PM »
Kev

Many thanks for the response - comprehensive as ever and very useful. I do like to see if my diagnosis proves correct. What you describe regarding the condition of the weight not being fully revealed is normal. I often buy from auctions via absentee bids and I've had a few weights  more damaged than I expected.

Other forum I referred to is the glass-forums - this may be the one you refer to.  I joined as a case of "the more the merrier." And some things get posted there and not here that are quite interesting.

Regards
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand