No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: A new area for me  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Leni

• Members
A new area for me
« on: February 17, 2005, 02:16:10 PM »
I have recently started to buy a different type of glass from that which I have previously collected and would apreciate some help in identification.  

In the past I have gone for antique, mainly Victorian 'vaseline' glass and some pressed glass.  However, I was recently tempted by some great big lumps of gorgeous glass which I believe is Murano - at least, it was sold as such!  

The first piece is shown here: http://tinypic.com/1r8a2x  http://tinypic.com/1r89lk and I would appreciate if someone could guide me - firstly as to whether it really is Murano - and if so, the date and possibly the maker.  It was clearly designed to be used as an ashtray, but fortunately nobody has!   :roll:

The second piece I bought is quite similar (it hasn't arrived yet).  The colours are the same and the fluid, jelly-like appearance - which makes it look to me as if it should wobble when you touch it   :lol:

I really don't mind if it isn't Morano, as I just love the look and feel of it, whatever it is  :D  However, as you know I do like to find out a maker if I can.  

Thanks folks.  

Leni
Leni

Offline RAY

• Members
A new area for me
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
hi Leni

it's not murano but i think it could be Czechoslovakian hope i spelled that right, i've had some like yours in the past with the Czechoslovakian lable on it but mine was cranberry and green in colour

Ray
cheers Ray

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
A new area for me
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 11:00:07 PM »
Hi Leni!

I liked your pics, that's very pretty glass you have there.  Like Ray, I'd say it's Czech glass too.  They're often (in fact pretty much always) labelled 'Murano' on Ebay, but you kind of start to recognise them, especially that shape. To my knowledge (sticks her neck out over the parapet..lol) they often include a rather limey green colour, which can help spot them, as it's not a usual 'Murano' colour.

Oh!  Look at me!  With this much neck over the parapet, I shall await being shot down!  <ducks>

xx Max

PS  I reckon that Czech is the 'next big thing' so probably a collectable for the future.  Yippee!   :D
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
A new area for me
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 08:32:09 AM »
I would guess Belgian, not Czech.  Sure it looks like Murano, but a lot of these thickwalled sommerso ashtrays and drawn out fruit dishes were actually made in Belgium in the 50s and 60s. Companies like Boussu, Val St. Lambert and Doyen Havre have made these in huge quantities.

Offline Leni

• Members
Re: A new area for me
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2005, 10:37:11 AM »
Quote from: "Leni"
The second piece I bought is quite similar (it hasn't arrived yet).  The colours are the same and the fluid, jelly-like appearance - which makes it look to me as if it should wobble when you touch it

Second piece just arrived - broken!  It was well packed, too. Clearly wasn't made of jelly!  :cry:  

I couldn't bear to look at it, just wrapped it up again and closed the box!  I just HATE glass getting broken!   :evil:  

Ho hum. At least I have one nice piece   :(  

Thanks for the info on ID folks.  I'll look up the names you mention Ivo.  

And I'll console myself with the Avem bowl I picked up in the Charity shop yesterday afternoon.  Some you win, some you lose, eh?   :roll:
http://tinypic.com/1r9chg

Leni
Leni

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
A new area for me
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2005, 11:38:02 AM »
Argh! The very first time I dare voice an opinion, and I'm shot down in flames!   :lol:

Ivo said:  would guess Belgian, not Czech. Sure it looks like Murano, but a lot of these thickwalled sommerso ashtrays and drawn out fruit dishes were actually made in Belgium in the 50s and 60s. Companies like Boussu, Val St. Lambert and Doyen Havre have made these in huge quantities.

I've been thinking this shape and colouring is Czech for years!  So I've definitely been wrong all that time then?  Sorry to be pedantic, I'm just preparing to re-shuffle my mental files.  lol

Max xx
I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
A new area for me
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2005, 11:57:13 AM »
Thickwalled item of course? Quite likely the result of temperature difference - out of the airplane hold straight into the heated sorting office straight into the unheated van and  :!:  KEPLING  :!:  another one bites the dust.  Sorry, Leni  :( . Your Tutti Frutti bowl looks like the real article. I have a large oval one in precisely that colour - we call it the catsick bowl.   8)

Quote from: Max
Argh! The very first time I dare voice an opinion, and I'm shot down in flames!   :lol:  (..) I've been thinking this shape and colouring is Czech for years!  So I've definitely been wrong all that time then?  Sorry to be pedantic, I'm just preparing to re-shuffle my mental files.  lol
Max xx

You may have been right on many occasions - just this particular one whispers "Doyen".  Maybe it is Murano after all, or Austrian, or German or Canadian - I think these pieces relate more to taste period (late 50s, 60s) than to a specific manufacturer and they're hard to attribute - unless they are stickered.....

Offline Leni

• Members
A new area for me
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005, 12:39:38 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
Thickwalled item of course? Quite likely the result of temperature difference - out of the airplane hold straight into the heated sorting office straight into the unheated van and  :!:  KEPLING  :!:  another one bites the dust.  Sorry, Leni  :(

No Ivo, it was posted within the UK - another goal for the Royal Mail football team I guess  :evil:

Your Tutti Frutti bowl looks like the real article. I have a large oval one in precisely that colour - we call it the catsick bowl.   8)

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:   I know exactly what you mean!  I think my son would agree with the description!  He hated it instantly!  - But then he hates everything I buy - he's a Ultiliarian  :roll:  

I just about get away with flower vases, provided I intend to use them - but he wants to know why do I need more than one?  Or two at most?  And I love to drink out of beautiful glasses, whereas he thinks an old plastic beaker is just as good!   :shock:  How did I raise such a Philistine?  

BTW here's a pic of the broken bowl, taken for the insurance claim - not that I can bear to look at it   :cry:

http://tinypic.com/1rer6u

Leni
Leni

Offline taylog1

• Members
    • 1950's Scandinavian glass
A new area for me
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2005, 08:18:32 PM »
Try here for a serious collection of Chalet glass

http://www.mblaisgallery.com/dynamic/artists/Chalet_Art_Glass.asp

Taylog1

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk