No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Is it Crown Crystal? Cathy Glen anyone??  (Read 9202 times)

Offline JC

• Members
Is it Crown Crystal? Cathy Glen anyone??
« on: December 06, 2006, 01:01:28 AM »
Cathy, or anyone else. I originally purchased this blue glass sugar bowl, thinking it was Crown Crystals Blocked Arches. Now I am having second thought.  :?
I have a terrible time trying to compare some things, if say, I am trying to compare a Blocked Arches sugar bowl with a Blocked Arches salad bowl.      It seems in most cases I  have to have 2 of the same items.
All opinions  are very much welcomed,to un-confuse this poor glass dummy. :oops:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4307

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 02:05:51 AM »
Hi Julie,

Pretty sure it's not CC. As far as I'm aware, the block and arches only came in the water set (Glen, if you know better, do say). #836 is a similar pattern, but it's not that either, as the blocks on your piece are raised out from the pattern, the finial is wrong and the blue is not a CC blue.

Is that base mirror polished? I'm sure I've seen a pattern like that - Walther 'Mary'? Was it one in Glens' Czech Special (which I can't find)?? Over to Glen and Pamela.

Cathy

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:15:11 AM »
Hi Cathy, thanks for confirming my suspicions.Once I got it home, I then decided it wasn't CC, and then I tried searching for a match.Ended up throwing my arms in the air and gave up .I just couldn't work it  out.I just seemed to confuse myself more  :lol:
I hope someone can shed some light on it.

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 05:34:47 AM »
Could it be Jacobean pattern?  Inwald or Davidson?   :?
Just trying to eliminate my searching.This has got me going balmy  :roll: LOL.Who would think such a simple pattern could get me all confused :lol:
Julie

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 05:56:07 AM »
No, it's not Jacobean either, for the same reason - there's that separation between the square patterns, a 'valley' for want of a better way of describing it. The worst thing is, I'm sure I've seen a vase in that pattern in one of the catalogues but I can't find it for the life of me.

Pamela and Glen will know, if anyone does :)

Don't worry about the problem of simple patterns: they're the worst, because everyone did similar things.

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 06:09:24 AM »
Thanks once again Cathy.Ok CC  and Jacobean has been eliminated That helps, as I keep gong back to the Jacobean pattern and tryng my hardest to match it. On the Ebay chat someone suggested Hazel Atlas, but another said not USA.
I think for my own sanity, I will put this out of sight for a day.It has been sitting on my desk here for a few weeks now. I was so determined to work it out all on my own.
I'll wait and see what Glen and Pamela have to say about it.
Cathy, could you be thinking of Walther Edna?  ..maybe not..think thats different (just thinking out aloud as I type )
Julie..walking way from the sugar bowl and letting my brain reboot , then maybe I should defrag as well  :lol:

Sklounion

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 07:04:42 AM »
The pattern from Walther that most closely resembles this is "Lady",
and it is understandable why you might have thought "Lord/Jacobean", the principal difference being, as Cathy says, the "valleys" between the panels on your piece. Sadly this particular item I could not find, in the catalogue, as only page 1 of three referring to "Lady" was accessible.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Glen

• Author
  • Members
    • Carnival Glass Research and Writing
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 09:34:46 PM »
Hi Julie - well it's much easier to tell you what it isn't  :roll: I wish it wasn't so  :oops:

It isn't Inwald's Jacobean, and it isn't Walther's / Bernsdorf's Lady.

I can't see it in the Rindskopf, Hortensja, STS, Brockwitz etc., etc., pattern books.

But I DO know another piece that it is like. The block pattern, and the manner in which they interlock, is (I believe) identical to that on the King James (Carnival Glass) vase. I have not yet been able to attribute that pattern. But at least we now know that the maker used a light blue glass for it, as well.

http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/KingJames.html

Glen
Just released—Carnival from Finland & Norway e-book!
Also, Riihimäki e-book and Carnival from Sweden e-book.
Sowerby e-books—three volumes available
For all info see http://www.carnivalglassworldwide.com/
Copyright G&S Thistlewood

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 10:35:51 PM »
Thanks Glen - I knew I'd seen it somewhere before, and it was something to do with you!

Offline JC

• Members
Re: Is it Crown Crystal? Cathy Glen anyone??
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2006, 06:57:42 AM »
Yeah!!! the message board is up and running again!!!  ;D
Glen thank you so very much for all the time and effort you have given  helping me. And thank you so very much for going that extra step and popping over to the eBay Chat to post  your reply for me to see, because this site had gone down. How very considerate of you to do that.Once again thank you.
And Marcus thank you very much too
Julie

Moderator: Marquee and glow removed - text not visible to all users with them on

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand