No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: prunted vase - any ideas? ID: Josef Hospodka Prachen Flower Vase  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
It's very good of you to have a look at my stuff, so thank you all again!

This vase is 10" high.  Heavy item, rounded walls at the top opening, and flat polished base.  Not cased, but same colour throughout.

When I bought this (couple of years ago) I thought it was Scandinavian, of which I have quite a lot, but it doesn't feel right somehow.  It's like a strange hybrid or something.  I even toyed with the idea it might be Blenko for a bit.  Does anyone have any idea?  Quite cute isn't it?!

http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-2777

Max xx
I am not a man

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
Strange mod prunted vase - any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2005, 05:56:23 PM »
Hello Max!
I looked your vase in some reference books I have and I knew I had seen it before... I have almost the same vase listed as a Blenko piece, (from catalogue photos!), in Lesslie Piña's "Circa Fifties Glass" Book.
There are 2 images where it apprears (in 3 different shapes). The item numbers in the catalogue are #5935, 5940, and 595.

Actually, let me back up a bit and say that the pieces in the catalogue have the same color round decoration applied to them. I am not sure if your vase is a variation with a different color added, or maybe a vase taken after a Blenko piece/style.

Hope this helps!
Javier
Offering Vintage and Antique Murano Glass • Free Shipping Worldwide!
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2005, 07:14:28 PM »
Javier,  thank you for taking the time to look it up - it's very kind of you indeed.

I wouldn't be surprised if this vase was 50's (late 50's I suppose, judging by style) as it's got loads of wear on the base.  It's a real quality piece of glass, and I like it a lot for it's confident grooviness!  I thought I'd seen a Blenko piece on the net that was similar, but could I find it again?? Nooo!

The book you mention sounds interesting, and I'd like to have a look at the photo's you refer to.  I'll have a look for it on Amazon - and come to think of it, I could do with a book on 1960's Blenko too!

Very best regards

Max xxx

<Praying that Amazon don't lose any more books from the USA in the post!>
I am not a man

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2005, 07:28:06 PM »
Javier

Seeing that you're in the USA, could you possibly recommend a book on Blenko?  I just had a look on Amazon, and there's quite a lot there!  I prefer the 1960/70's style really - if that narrows it down a bit... :?

Don't worry if you can't recommend one, I'll just stick a pin in! x

Max.   :)

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2005, 07:42:13 PM »
Hi Max!
Did you try Ebay?
I dont collect Blenko, so I really would not be the right person to ask about it. The book I mentioned has European and Amarican glass, so its not that specific. I think Leslie Piña  also did a Blenko book. I'm not sure.
You might try sending the photo to the actual Blenko website http://www.blenkoglass.com which is still alive and well! I think they can help you select a better book, specifically on Blenko.
Good Luck!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline CathyG

• Members
Not Blenko
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 10:54:03 PM »
Hi Max,
  Very cool vase, but it's not Blenko. I too have seen that vase before and I will check my books when I get a change. I've been very busy together with 3 others putting together the most informative Blenko web site. It's just about finished and we are still adding daily but if you want to check it out it's blenkocollectors.com and make sure to click on the titles to see all the pictures.

Cathy[/url]
Cathy G
www.glasslanding.com
A Source for Mid Century Art Glass
Lots of Blenko!

Offline svazzo

• SVAZZO
  • Members
    • www.SVAZZO.com
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 12:20:19 AM »
Hello Cathy!
Thanks for correcting me. I will check your site and bookmark it for future reference!
Javier
www.SVAZZO.com

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 02:10:37 PM »
Thanks for your help.  

Cathy, that's a great site you've got there.  I loved the pre-designer glasses particularly, the air twist stem goblets and the fabby blue hooped tumblers!  Just gorgeous!   :D

I've ordered from Amazon;  'Blenko, Now & Then' and also 'Circa Fifties Glass' (thanks Javier) by the ubiquitous Leslie Pina.

Crumbs.  I've gone from having no books to having FOUR whole books!  Where will it end?   :lol:

Max xx
I am not a man

Connie

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 03:52:06 PM »
Heavy item, rounded walls at the top opening, and flat polished base.

What do you mean by "flat polished base"?  If you mean a flat ground, polished base like on Italian or Murano pieces, then I can almost bet it is not American.  It is just not a common way to finish items here in the US at least not in the last 90-100 years  8)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 06:23:50 PM »
Connie said: What do you mean by "flat polished base"? If you mean a flat ground, polished base like on Italian or Murano pieces

Sorry, my glass terminology doesn't stand up to scrutiny!   :oops:

I do mean a flat ground base like Murano pieces, which is why it seemed like a weird hybrid to me.  Thanks for the general information about American pieces, it's very useful to know.   :)

Max xx
I am not a man

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand