No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Opalescent Vase with Controlled Bubbles. Maker?  (Read 2597 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Pink Opalescent Vase with Controlled Bubbles. Maker?
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2006, 04:47:08 PM »
... the labor force is cheap, (some is free, forced prison labor) no worker benefits, and no on the job safety laws enacted...

Sounds like the way the UK is going these days too. I think we will create our own subspecies... probably call them the 'Avenotians'. Glass has always been a bit over the enviromental edge.

But the quality of finish on this piece is consistent with much studio production, not everyone grinds off the pontil remnants completely. Is there any sign of age wear on this piece Kristen?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KSilverMoore

• Members
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2006, 10:36:41 PM »
Actually, all of this has been very interesting to read. I've been out of town and without internet access, which is why I haven't chimed in earlier.

Honestly, my reason for saying I didn't think it was TJ Maxx quality is because I spend a lot of my time at auctions, thrift stores, antique stores, and junk shops, and this particular vase just seemed special to me. The fact that it only cost me $1.91 didn't hurt either. I liked it so much I almost decided to keep it in my own collection, so if it doesn't sell, maybe it was meant to be mine. Anyway, I've had the honor of holding a lot of quality pieces of glass in my hand, both antique pieces and newer art glass, and I've gotten to the point where EAPG practically just jumps off the shelves into my hands at thrift shops, and though I can't always tell what will sell on ebay, I can usually tell when a piece of glass is a worthwhile investment. (Though I hate to put it in those terms.)

At the same time, I am definitely NOT an expert. I've only been collecting glass for six years and my husband and I have only been selling on Ebay for a few months. I also have a few TJ Maxx type glass pieces that we got in a box lot at an auction, and I knew at sight that they were nothing special. I wish I could put into words what makes those pieces stand out as TJ Maxx type glass, whereas this piece did not strike me this way, but I can't.

Also, I have been under the impression that a rough pontil mark is not always indicative of a poorer quality glass. Any thoughts?

At any rate, one of my good friends is a glass artist in Washington state, so maybe I should ask her what she thinks of this little vase. Thanks for your input!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2006, 09:03:35 AM »
A rough pontil mark on its own means nothing. Other than that the maker did not grind it down - perhaps they did not own a grinder.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2006, 09:47:18 AM »
A rough pontil mark on its own means nothing. Other than that the maker did not grind it down - perhaps they did not own a grinder.

There are several possible reasons for leaving a piece unfinished:
  • 1. Outfit is so small they do not own grinder (mainly American studio)
    2. Production is so cheap the additional operation is skimped on (mainland China, Poland)
    3. "That rustic feel" (may be a combination of 1 and 2)
    4. the piece is a second

• Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
    Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
    link to glass encyclopedia
    Visit the Online Glass Museum
    link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand