No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: strange satin fish  (Read 4253 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
strange satin fish
« on: December 15, 2006, 11:00:40 AM »

Here is a grumpy fish, very well made and satinated. I thought it must be Barolac as it has that kind of quality - but so far it could not be confirmed.

Does anyone have the Weil catalogue by any chance?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: strange satin fish
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 11:21:45 AM »
Hi Ivo, hpw about Verlys, or Underwood, although i think i'm right in that all of their pieces were signed :-\ maybe  Sevres, again mostly signed, not much help, sorry, Sue.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2006, 05:14:21 PM »
No idea on a maker, but it looks like a puffer fish to me. Although, I've always thought of puffer fish as cheery little souls...

According to Wikipedia, puffer fish are one of few kinds of fish that can blink or close their eyes, and many species can change the color or intensity of their patterns in response to environmental changes, like a chameleon. And apparently, "dolphins have been observed using puffer fish as a sort of toy in the wild. They tease the puffer fish with their teeth, causing the small fish to become alarmed and then inflate. After a while the fish calms down and deflates, thus starting the cycle over again. It is speculated that dolphins may also enjoy the mild numbing effect from small amounts of the puffer fish toxin."

OK, OK, I'm off to the cafe...
Heidi

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2006, 05:29:53 PM »
No Fish in my Weil's

Sklounion

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2006, 08:47:15 PM »
Hi Ivo,
I've been giving this some thought. It does not strike me, looking at what little is available as frosted animals from Barolac as consistent. That being the case, whilst I would not preclude Jablonec, I think this is quite possibly French, and the moulding appears to be of similar quality to that done by Frankenhauser. Naturally you have already considered Lalique, but there may be others?
By the way what size is this? Large /small enough for a car mascot? (That was dumb, size is stated with image!!!! "Stupid boy, Pike"!!!)
Regards,
Marcus

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2006, 08:59:03 PM »
Heidi, i am more than touched by your contribution - thank you! Please do not escape to the cafe, although you will be most welcomed there also!
Is it a question of Putzer-fishes please? These seem to be under water by nature in order to relieve the big ones ??? ;)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2006, 09:00:48 PM »
BUT: Ivo's it not a putzer fish really I am afraid
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2006, 10:17:03 PM »
It's one of those undersea people from Stingray...

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Sklounion

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2006, 10:38:27 PM »
Ivo, thinking of companies such as Etling, though probably not Sabino,and possible artists:
M Le Verrier, Elie Ottavy, Maurel, F Bazin and Bourdelle, some of which were known to design glass items.
Etling did glass and metal mascots, and according to mascotmania.com, for top-end vehicles. If you visit that, and do the drop down box of glass mascots, the Lalique Perche is there, and looking at the definition on that, and comparing your piece, I think, very little difference in quality of detail.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2006, 10:42:48 PM »
Pamela, I thought everyone knew that a putzer fish is a larvophilic mouthbrooding cichlid... ;)

(It lays its eggs in a cave in typical apisto fashion. When the eggs hatch the female puts the larvae in her mouth and carries them with her. When feeding, she puts the
larvae in a secluded spot, eats and then picks up the larvae again. Once the
larvae become freeswimming fry the female tends them in typical apisto fashion,
never allowing them into mouth except when picking one or two up to bring them
back to the school. Apparently...)
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand