No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: ysart identification help requested. ID = PY Harland period (70s)  (Read 3148 times)

Offline paul

• Members
I have been told that the weight in these images is an unsigned Paul Ysart and I would like help to understand how this identification is made/confirmed. Also what is the likely date and potential value.
Thanks in advance to anyone that can help. Paul

aul

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: ysart identification help requested
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2006, 04:58:51 PM »
This weight is one of many of that type produced in Paul Ysart's studio at Harland, Wick from c. 1971 to at least 1975.

I show one, on a yellow ground, in my page at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/catalog/py-flower.htm

I'm not sure whether these were continued beyond 1975, but there is an image of pages from a 1975 catalogue showing a similar weight on page 163 of the book Ysart Glass.

Many of Paul Ysart's weights from the 1970s were issued with just a label rather than having an "H" or "PY" cane.

Sorry, but I am unable to give a value - mainly because I really don't know. Prices asked / paid can vary quite a lot amongst regular dealers or eBay sellers.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 01:52:57 PM »
This is a very nice weight. Lovely colour.

As Kevin said, difficult to put a value on.  You really need to look at the dealers - of which there are many. One example is Bob Hall who has a few variations for sale at prices from £175 to £375.

I have seen similar go on ebay for anything between £150 and £250. 

Keep an eye on ebay and see what comes up. You'll soon get a handle on it.   

Martin

Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2006, 02:37:08 PM »
Identification is generally made by reference to marked and labelled examples. In addition the canes used in paperweights can, to a certain extent, be attributed to particular makers. Colours used, techniques used, aspects of a design, finish and overall shape - all these and more contribute to understanding and identifying.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline paul

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:51:32 PM »
thanks to all for your help/comments. Paul
aul

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum