No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ann Warff  (Read 3496 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Ann Warff
« on: December 16, 2006, 03:57:28 PM »
Did Ann Warff get her inspiration for her snowball range from an earlier paperweight by Kosta? ( Millers glass buyers guide, page 228, year 2002) it just that they look very similar, or has it been wrongly attributed?.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Ann Warff
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 04:40:41 PM »
I see what you mean Sue. That paperweight (if it's not a candleholder in the photo) seems to be from Sweetbriar Gallery (SWB) so you could maybe email them?  Unless someone here has the information?   :)
I am not a man

Offline a40ty

• Members
  • Copenhagen, Denmark
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Good morning. You probably know this, but just in case, Snowball first came into production in 1973.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 08:57:05 AM »
Is the item in the book you refer to, smooth or textured?
These are very similar to a candle-holder and paper-weight, from Skrdlovice.
Pattern numbers 7048.18  and 7048.14. These appeared in 1970, and were designed by
Frantisek Vizner.
Possible source of inspiration?
Regards,
Marcus

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »
Hi Marcus, the book is the glass buyers guide, 2002, page 228, the paperweight is textured, it is not a candle holder, the description given is £ Kosta paperweight, Sweden, signed, post ww11, 3in, but it does'nt say signed by who?  even in 2002 most glass collectors knew about Ann Warff, so why didn't they make the connection if they proport to be experts? also when they state signed, why not state who signed it? was it an earlier designer? or is it Anne Warff ? was she inspired by an earlier artisan ?.
Having read the book again, i am doubious as to a lot of the attributions, i know the book is five years old, but as a guide book surely including who signed a piece is fundamental as a research point for glass collectors?.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 03:35:02 PM »
That was sourced from Sweetbriar gallery, why not ask them to clarify. We are still in the Post WW2 period. They do have another listed as Warf here http://www.sweetbriar.co.uk/weightlist.php?maker=Miscellaneous

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 03:39:20 PM »
Thank's Frank, i did email before but didn't get an answer :-\ but will try again.

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 10:54:25 PM »
A bit of glassmakers' folklore: I remember Charlie Meaker commenting, around about 1982, that an an example of good design was the fact that around ten years earlier, Ann Warff had picked up some snow and fashioned it into a snowball, put her thumbs inside it, and the rest is history. This was during a discussion about the relevance importance of the designer in Sweden, where the designer is expected to provide work and employment for the community by creating something that can be made in volume and profitably. He further commented that Ann Warff had been living off the royalties ever since, and that it had been one of the most sucessful designs in the history of Kosta. I don't know how true this is, but it is probably close to the mark. :)
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand