No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: more AHW designs  (Read 4639 times)

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
more AHW designs
« on: December 16, 2006, 04:03:38 PM »
Thought it was time this forum got christened on the new-look GMB!

Just to let you know that I've posted some more images of AHW designs: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/thumbnails.php?album=254 . Any info anyone can supply about dates, pattern names etc very gratefully received.  :)
Heidi

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
Re: more AHW designs
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2006, 04:11:12 PM »
Thanks Heidi, and it's interesting to see the number of variations.

At some time, I am wondering whether a web site to handle all the different patterns and shapes would be worth starting. Like ChanceGlass.net it might promote the cause and encourage people to submit their own examples. I don't mind doing all the background work of getting the site started.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2006, 04:48:04 PM »
I think some of my glasses have escaped to your gallery Heidi!  Or am I seeing things?   ??? Labelled AHW?  No worries though.  ;D  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2006, 05:15:38 PM »
Hi, Max - yes, I'd noticed one of your sets had crept in there some time back. But 'twasn't my doing, honest! I assumed that you'd moved them there. Maybe they just wanted the company of their own kind and wandered over...?

David - a site sounds great, particularly if you were willing to handle the technical stuff. I've done work for our office intranet (structuring site sections and writing content), but it was all within very limited templates and someone else did the publishing. But I'm willing to learn!

As well as pictures of my own collection, I've got quite a bit of research that could be turned into content. And I know you've got some Sherdley and Ravenhead ads from your research at Himley Hall.

Although - I'm not sure how much I want interest to grow - at least while I'm buying rather than selling...  ;)
Heidi

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2006, 05:18:56 PM »
At some time, I am wondering whether a web site to handle all the different patterns and shapes would be worth starting.

I was thinking of doing one for printed glassware, if using the same tech as my other sites, it will be a doddle and will support multiple editors who will not need tech knowledge to add stuff. Just my workload is too high.

Offline David E

• Author
  • Members
    • Heart of the Country, England
    • ChanceGlass.net
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2006, 11:18:32 PM »
I suppose a smaller site offering specific info on a single maker or designer would be easier to handle manually, whereas a larger site encompassing all printed-ware lends itself better to an automated process.

How do you want to go, Heidi? There are a few possibilities:

1. Explore Sherdley/Ravenhead (similar to the Chance one as there's other pressed glassware to consider)

2. One on AHW designs only (poss. include textiles, et al, later?)

3. A site looking at printed glassware in general?

I'll accept Frank has greater knowledge on printed glassware in general, so perhaps we can all work something out in the future to amalgamate the sites.
David
► Chance Additions ◄
The 2nd volume of the domestic glassware of Chance Brothers
Contact ► Cortex Design ◄ to order any book

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2006, 02:06:11 AM »
Hi, Max - yes, I'd noticed one of your sets had crept in there some time back. But 'twasn't my doing, honest! I assumed that you'd moved them there. Maybe they just wanted the company of their own kind and wandered over...?

Heh heh heh it's not wandered over it's virtually wandered!  ;D 

Each album can have a keyword assigned to it and Heidi has assigned AHW to her album... but on my periodic sorting out in GlassGallery I go through and add keyword data to image descriptions so they show up in searches.. and when something is by AH Williamson I used the designer keyword AHW... which happens to be the same as Heidi's album keyword, so Max's picture gets displayed along with Heidi's pics in her album as it shares her keyword. Max's pic is still in Max's album but displays in both places. The way to stop it doing would be for the keyword in Max's pic to be changed to something else instead of AHW and then it won't wander virtually.  ;)

If you want to see how the keywords can be used to sort glass by country, maker, type, etc. have a look at my own glass albums where there are the 3 main albums for our collections and the others for country, maker, type are virtual albums built on keywords.  8)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2006, 03:24:42 AM »

Heh heh heh it's not wandered over it's virtually wandered!  ;D 

;D  Ok Anne...I'll change the keyword in my pic!  Hey Heidi...soon our glass will be parted!  ;) :'(

Modify:  Tried three different wordings and still the pics appear in Heidi's gallery.  Might need a crowbar...  ;)

I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2006, 03:37:25 AM »
Max, I think it's because there are two copies of the same image and both had the AHW keyword. One is in Glass and the other in Max... the one in Max one still has the AHW keyword, the other no longer has: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-3029
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Heidimin

• Researcher
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2006, 04:39:58 PM »
Anne/ Max

Would it help if I took the AHW keyword off my album? All the images have AHW in the keyword section, so they'd still show up in searches. (Not that I object to your glasses showing up there, of course, Max - the more the merrier!)

David

I think options 1 or 2 would be easier to handle: printed glassware is a huge topic. And, as you say, any work we did on the AHW designs could always be incorporated into a more general site later. I quite like the idea of a Sherdley/ Ravenhead site, with a sub-section on AHW as their most prolific designer (which could include info on his designs for Bagley and his textile and bookcover designs).

Having been forced to split up my research material into different sections to keep file sizes manageable, I have files on AHW himself, United Glass, Sherdley, Ravenhead, and screen-printed tumblers. Though it would all need editing to exclude copyright material.
Heidi

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand