No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: John Kall - Elme Sweden  (Read 6926 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
John Kall - Elme Sweden
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:14:22 AM »
I saw a glass plaque absolutely ages ago on eBay, designed by John Kall. I remember trying to find out about it, and coming up with zero information on him.  I've recently borrowed a similar plaque to have a good look at, and still can't find much out about it.  Does anyone know of a book that covers Elme perhaps?

Thank you.  :)
I am not a man

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote
Re: John Kall - Elme Sweden
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
Hi Max  :D

In Bill Geary's book (which is really informative), Scandinavain Glass, Creative Energies, pg.72, there is a little information about Elme Glasbruk. John Kall (can't get the two dots over the 'a') was with them in the 60's. There is also a a list of other designers and a time-line for the history of the factory.
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2006, 10:35:20 AM »
You must have stumbled on the information contained in Bill Geary's book "Scandinavian Glass - Creative Energies" - and there is a page on Elme in 20th century factory glass.

Elme Glasbruk, founded 1917, closed 1970, located in Älmhult made both blown, engraved and pressed glass. Its heyday was the 1920s when Edvin Ollers designed for the company. There were several takeovers, and the company was revived by the Bogarp family in 1962, with designers Kjeld Jordan and John Käll - but the factory did not survive long enough to make much of an impact. Käll was not heard of again as far as I'm aware....

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 10:39:18 AM »
Hi Della, nice to see you here, I've been wondering if you're ok.  :)

Thank you, I've got Bill's book, and I'd missed that information.  I'll have another go through it later on, in case there's something else I've missed - I do find that book a little hard to navigate - I think the trouble is, I dip in and out...maybe I should try reading cover to cover!  ::)

I'm looking for photographic references to their work really...I'll keep trying.

Edit:  Thanks Ivo, I guessed Kall didn't figure much in glass history.  I wonder what became of him?  His plaques are really unique.   ???

I am not a man

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2006, 12:26:05 PM »
http://www.tradera.com/auction/Glas/aid_36594863
these do not fetch high prices, it seems
and so she is listing it again:
http://www.tradera.com/auction/aid_37136622

John Käll now writes historical and touristical info, about Älmhult in Skane

http://www.jamshog.net/yrken/saltpetersjudning.htm
and does drawings for a webside on black powder production

Mod: fixed scrolling link (sorry Ivo)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2006, 01:05:28 PM »
Plaque is great, you going for it Max?

175 Swedish kronor = 19.325885 Euros

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2006, 02:18:45 PM »
Hey, thanks Ivo!  Maybe glass was just a departure for him then, a very talented man it seems and an artist.  I'd never have found those links by myself - how interesting!  It isn't often that I feel like contacting a glass designer, but I'd like to drop him a line and say how much I love the plaques..they really ding my bell!

That's exactly the same design as I have here on the Tradera auction, but the one here is a kind of antique yellow, and not blue.  The strange thing is (maybe I'm not reading it right?) is that the Tradera auction, when using the 'translate this page into English' button seems to take me to someone else's auction where the Elme plaque went for a high price.  I can't see what I'm doing wrong there, could someone try that 'translate into English' button and see what happens for them?

Thanks also to Marcus who sent me the Tradera link too. x
I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2006, 02:35:14 PM »
It just sends you to a dummy page that lets you translate each term, very confusing, you have to do a double take :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand