No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Glass Figure=Turnvater Jahn by Riedel  (Read 7535 times)

Offline mikenott

• Members
Mystery Glass Figure=Turnvater Jahn by Riedel
« on: December 20, 2006, 10:35:56 PM »
Dear All,

Having seen the skill and expertise available on this list, I was wondering if you experts would be prepared to tide away a few moments in the blur that is Christmas by helping me with my Christmas conundrum.....

About two years ago, I bought a glass figure of a stately looking slightly balding, long wavy haired and bearded gentleman, dressed in victorian dress, his jacket having a small cross type medal undeneath his coat lapel and with his arm resting on a wood stump. I bought him because I liked him and I have no intention of selling him. But I really, really  ;D would like to know who he is.

Does his cross and a tree stump imply a evangelist (there were two famous ones who toured England in the 1800's)? Is he an American general?

The figure has a flat square base, which is of unequal thickness requiring a purpose built wooden base into which the glass base only fits in one orientation.

I have put some photo links below. Any help appreciated and thanks for taking the time to at least read my posting.

http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/mikenott/IMG_1642.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/mikenott/IMG_1644.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/mikenott/IMG_1646.jpg
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q194/mikenott/IMG_1647.jpg

Many thanks in anticipation,

Michael.

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Christmas Conundrum - Mystery Glass Figure
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2006, 11:29:44 PM »
Mike, welcome to this forum  :)  I've had a lot of fun with my husband, trying to figure out who your gentleman is.  Could you possibly give your location, and if you're able, the location you bought it in, if different?  It might help pin it down for you.  :)

I am not a man

Offline Paul ADK

• Members
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2006, 03:01:19 AM »
The figure may possibly be a representation of the Charles Spurgeon, but I am quite certain that Dwight L. Moody retained all his hair.  (My parents both graduated from Moody Bible Institute and as a child I remember seeing Moody's photograph on many occasions.) 

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2006, 05:54:08 AM »
I am in the UK and bought him in the UK. I would love him to be English glass, but he may have more USA silica in his veins???

Mould crispness is very good, frosting is excellent.

Michael.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2006, 09:17:00 AM »
he may be French, or Czech/ Austrian (Riedel) or Italian.... and could be tricky to ID. 

I've been trying to research this bearded fella and his matching lady:
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-1408
and in spite of many many suggestions, am none the wiser.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2006, 09:41:19 AM »
His jacket, with the buttonholes in the lapel, has a look of the American Civil War period to me.  I thought at first he might be Robert E Lee, but I don't think Lee's beard was ever that long!   ::)

Ooops! I mean the first fella, of course, no the one with the lady.  Sorry! 
Leni

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2006, 09:49:48 AM »
I've been through countless historical figures, but the trouble is one bearded man looks much like another. I assume there's no markings to the underside of the glass figure?  I did think that an evangelical figure would have had a bible depicted somewhere?  Perhaps the V&A Museum might accept a photograph of your gentleman and give some advice?  Just a thought.  :-\

Maybe someone will be able to ID him for you here, I think he's great and I wouldn't sell him either.  :)

Postscript:  Leni, strangely I was wondering about James Garfield earlier, he was born in a log cabin...wondering about the tree stump... 
I am not a man

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 02:50:51 PM »
I wonder if the cross on his coat breast may be the clue here... there are various awards and orders worn there, e.g. in the UK the Orders of the Garter and the Bath - but it's neither of those. Does anyone know of an honour which is a cross in that shape?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 03:37:23 PM »
Great minds think alike Anne  ;)  I trawled through loads of 'medal cross' on Google, and unfortunately there's quite a few in that shape.  I then tried finding out which ones possible historical figures had, it's a mammoth task!  (almost said 'tusk' then..lol)

I am not a man

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2006, 03:52:31 PM »
How about Henry Dunant? founder of the red cross in 1859?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand