No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mystery Glass Figure=Turnvater Jahn by Riedel  (Read 7534 times)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
Re: Christmas Conundrum - Mystery Glass Figure
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2006, 09:02:13 AM »
I think it's well done to Pamela and Geiselberger too!  I've never heard of Turnvater Jahn, and I confess I had visions of King Canute when I Googled him.  :)

This is a really top example of how this board works - people clubbing together to help.   :)   :)  Great sleuthing!

I am not a man

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2006, 11:14:36 AM »
The medal being an Iron Cross he got in 1840. I must admit he does not look the typical gymnast.... how times have changed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_Ludwig_Jahn

Offline Sid

• Members
    • Canada
    • Glasfax
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2006, 04:18:50 PM »
Hello:

All kudos should go to Pamela and Siegmar, all I did was google Turnvater Jahn and poke through what came up!

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2006, 07:28:36 PM »
Well, I am absolutely amazed and blown away!! As my kids would say "The Glass Message Board done well good". I go away for a few hours and when I come back, not only has the figure been identified, it is confirmed by a photograph of the original statue from which my glass figure came from. And it is is IDENTICAL even down to the amount of square base showing above the stone base - absolutely fantastic. I will write down the details and keep them under the base of the figure so that he always has a name. Feel like he's come in from the cold after a few decades  :)

I have colleagues who work in Germany and I will ask them to try and get me a better photograph of the statue which I think is in Freyburg. If so, I will post it here.

I don't know Pamela (although I have watched her news item video) or Siegmar Geiselberger but Siegmar must have an encyclopeadic knowledge of glass to ahve popped that name out of the ether. Respect Siegmar 8) (sorry, been with three teenage kids too much!)

Tongue in cheek moment - would anyone hazard a guess at the manufacturer? Assume it would be German? Don't know much about other manufactuerer's than the British ones myself (Derbyshire, Greener, Davidson, Burtles etc.). If teh statue was erected in 1859 and with his frosted appearance, quality of moulding etc. I would put him somewher between 1859 and 1880.

Again, a big, big, big thank you to you all for sorting our my Christmas Conundrum before Christmas. Now, I know I have another bit of glass somewhere for Christmas Conundrum #2............

Michael.

Sklounion

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2006, 11:02:31 AM »
Hi,
This would appear to have been made by Riedel, Polaun @ 1878, and appears to have originally stood on a black, inscribed, pressed glass plinth. Height would be 23 coms on original plinth. Produced for the centenary of Jahn's birth.
Regards,
Marcus

Offline mikenott

• Members
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2007, 04:58:32 PM »
Marcus,

That is very useful, and also very, very specific! Do you have access to a photograph or something?

My figure has a black wooden base that could look like black glass in a photo......?

Thanks,

Michael

Sklounion

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2007, 06:34:18 AM »
Hi Michael,
The image is in an edition of Siegmar Geiselberger's excellent publication, "Pressglas Korrespondenz, which can be found here: http://www.pressglas-korrespondenz.de
Your base is not like the original black pressed glass base, which has four recessed panels with raised lettering, on the vertical faces, and a recessed top surface to seat the statuette.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand