No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Kiln Forming  (Read 2898 times)

Sklounion

Kiln Forming
« on: January 23, 2005, 08:02:57 PM »
Given the level of interest expressed by board members regarding  glass techniques and technologies, members may be interested in a CD-ROM,
"Mixing with the Best: Investigation and Comparison of Contemporary Working Methods and Mould Making Materials For Use in the Kiln Forming of Glass" by the academic and active glass-maker Angela Thwaites, one of very few UK glass-makers to have studied at VSUP, Prague, whilst Stanislav Libensky was still teaching there. The CD-ROM is available free, from the RCA, and if you would like a copy, you should contact Ms Reynard by e-mail at:s.reynard@rca.ac.uk.
I believe Angela's work has been exhibited at Studio Glass Gallery, (website details on the recent copyright thread)
Anyone who doubts the importance of university research funding in the UK, should be aware that this resource was funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Board. All credit to them, and Angela Thwaites. This is a fine and worthy use of public money. Lets' have more of it.........

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline aa

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • http://www.adamaaronson.com
Kiln Forming
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 11:24:11 PM »
one of very few UK glass-makers to have studied at VSUP, Prague, whilst Stanislav Libensky was still teaching there

Are there any others...I thought Angela Thwaites was the only one.

I first bought a piece of her work in 1982 from her degree show and she was in the exhibition "Class of '82" that I put on together with my sister in our gallery in Highgate. Other young, relatively unknown at the time, graduate artists in the show were Tessa Clegg, Anna Dickinson, Deborah Fladgate, Simon Moore. All in all a good year for glass!
Hello & Welcome to the Board! Sometimes my replies are short & succinct, other times lengthy. Apologies in advance if they are not to your satisfaction; my main concern is to be accurate for posterity & to share my limited knowledge
For information on exhibitions & events and to see images of my new work join my Facebook group
https://www.facebook.com/adamaaronsonglass
Introduction to Glassblowing course:a great way to spend an afternoon http://www.zestgallery.com/glass.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Sklounion

Kiln Forming
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2005, 04:37:24 AM »
Adam,
This was me being cautious, as I was not sure if anyone else had.....
Marcus

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: Kiln Forming
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2005, 04:35:02 PM »
Quote from: "Le Casson"
Given the level of interest expressed by board members regarding  glass techniques and technologies, members may be interested in a CD-ROM,
"Mixing with the Best: Investigation and Comparison of Contemporary Working Methods and Mould Making Materials For Use in the Kiln Forming of Glass" by the academic and active glass-maker Angela Thwaites,

According to the message I've just had back from the Sandra Reynard "this publication is no longer available". :(
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Sklounion

Kiln Forming
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 08:20:50 AM »
"this publication is no longer available".
That is a shame. It is extremely useful.

Sklounion

Kiln Forming
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2005, 07:09:45 AM »
I have written to Angela Thwaites, asking if she would post the glossary of terms here on the board. My view is that it would be useful in improving member knowledge, and am now awaiting her response.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »
Any reply yet Marcus?

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2006, 03:56:53 PM »
Hi Frank,
The last time Angela and I spoke about this, she was keen to try to get this released for us to use, but there were problems with the RCA, which she was hoping to resolve.
I need to talk to her anyway, so will ask what the position is regarding the glossary, when I do.
regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand