No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Does anyone recognise the signature? = Strömbergshyttan  (Read 8972 times)

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
Does anyone recognise the signature? = Strömbergshyttan
« on: February 01, 2005, 03:18:12 PM »
Hi all!

I've come across a geode like dish, which I'm pretty sure is by Flygsfors, but I can't quite make out the signature.  It ends with the number 32, so made in 1932?  As I understand it this is too early for Paul Kedelv, and I haven't a clue on other designers there!

I hope somebody recognises it:

Let me know if more pics are needed.

Sklounion

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2005, 07:16:36 PM »
Wayne, this is probably an abortive attempt, but does that say Strombergshyttan...... if not, this looks Finnish.... Nuutajaarvi Njotso, perhaps????
Marcus

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2005, 08:12:46 PM »
Hi Marcus, thanks for your reply.  It doesn't look like any of those you mention I'm afraid.  The last half of the signature looks like it could be "flygsfors et 32", and also the first letter looks like a "P" then a space followed by a lot of squiggles!!  Maybe "P Keinl...something"?  It's definately not Paul Kedelv though.

I'm quite suprised at the "32" if it means 1932, it definately looks more 1960's to me, but I'm no expert on scandinavian glass.

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2005, 08:21:11 PM »
Tmaritta is the acknowledged wizard on these things.......
Marcus

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2005, 10:13:06 PM »
Thanks Marcus, but I am afraid I don't know Swedish glass that well at all.  I think a better picture of the signature might help.

By the way, I found a book about Swedish glass factories (production catalogues 1915-1960) on the web.  The price is a bit steep, $185, but seems to be a pretty comprehensive reference book with 20,000 pieces of glass.  Text is in English, German and Swedish.  Here is the link if anybody is interested:
http://www.imageexchange.com/books/3712.shtml

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2005, 10:49:46 PM »
Ok I managed to get a clearer picture, hope it helps:

http://www.20thcenturyglass.com/auctions/signature.jpg

Hi Tmaritta, that book looks very interesting, pity about the price!!  I wouldn't mind paying that much for a really useful book, but I'd like to see a review on it first.

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2005, 11:06:00 PM »
Wayne, I really think it reads Strömbergshyttan, maybe with the initials of the designer.  What you think is P in the beginning is probably an S, written in an oldfashioned way ( I remember seeing that kind of S in old letters).

Why don't you send the question to the Swedish glass forum (the address of it was in one of the recent entries here).  Most of the people there, I am sure, read and write English.

Cheers,
TMaritta

Sklounion

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2005, 06:51:21 AM »
Wayne,
Go here:
http://www.potteryglass.com/swedish.htm
Number of examples of Strombergshyttan bowls inc sommerso stuff, with signatures which look the same as on your piece.
Marcus

Anonymous

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2005, 06:57:53 AM »
Here's a nice tie in.

If it's Strombergshyttan (which is also my bet) then said book explains their code:

H is "ashtray"
32 would fall in the period 1947 - 1954 (but normally the dates refer to when they are designed, not made - a good seller can be made for years afterwards).

H32 isn't in the book, H34 is - v similar shape.

Re the book - "Swedish Glass Factories Production Catalogues 1915 - 1960" by Helmut Ricke and Lars Thor.

covers almost all the production pieces for Orrefors, Orrefors-Sandvik, Kosta, Eda, Elme and Strombergshyttan for this period.

I got my copy early in collecting swedish glass, and was not immediately impressed (where's all the pretty pictures !) however it's both saved me money in the past spotting Kosta fakes, and identifying bits with illegible signatures, so for my mind it's worth the money.

Taylog1

Offline Wayne

• Members
    • 20th Century Glass
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2005, 08:01:01 AM »
Thanks everyone!  I can see it's definately Strombergshyttan now.

Marcus - Looks like you were spot on at the beginning!  Sorry I couldn't see it at first.  I've not had any Strombergshyttan pieces before and didn't have a clue what the signature looked like.  Great site link by the way!

Taylog1 - Cheers for the extra info on the piece, and the book.  I'll definately consider getting that book, it does seem very useful (although I do like pretty pictures!).

I don't suppose anyone has any idea of the designer?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand