No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Pink Bird of Paradise Bowl - who might the makers be? ID = Jobling  (Read 4712 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
Re: Pink Bird of Paradise Bowl - who might the makers be?
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2007, 02:21:23 PM »
No, yours is satin, Lynne.

This is Opalique (i.e. the trade name for Jobling opalescent inspired by Lalique - ref Ivo's little Glass Fact File)... isn't it splendid?  Jobling Birds on Glen's Carnival Glass site:
http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/JobBirds.html

It is totally gorgeous... this is the kind of glass I have always loved.  Mine may be a rarish pattern, but it is miles away from the beauty of this one.

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2007, 05:02:09 PM »
Lynne — I disagree completely.   Using an opalescent glass for your bowl would take the emphasis away from the sculptural beauty of it, to its loss.

I can see that my effort in producing a carefully worked out theory, which I have christened Le Style Franckhauser, is a complete waste of time.   No-one has agreed, disagreed, or even criticised me for discussing women's breasts.   I haven't even had any anonymous phone calls!   It has had the worst possible reception — it has been completely ignored.

It is obvious to me that your beautiful Birds of Paradise bowl, Lynne, was designed for the pink glass it was made in, and possibly for other light colours.    As a lighting bowl, I have only seen it in pink.

Had Franckhauser intented it for use with opalescent glass, he would have used plump, Thelwell-like pigeons or wrens, not gently moulded birds of paradise.

Anyway, agree or disagree, that's my 2d worth.

Which brings me onto a much more important topic.    Why have I never seen any plump children on plump little ponies when I cross the Thelwell Viaduct?   And why are there never any ocean-going sailing ships tictacking their way along the Manchester Ship Canal way down below?

Happy New Year,

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2007, 05:23:30 PM »
Lynne — I disagree completely.   Using an opalescent glass for your bowl would take the emphasis away from the sculptural beauty of it, to its loss......It is obvious to me that your beautiful Birds of Paradise bowl, Lynne, was designed for the pink glass it was made in, and possibly for other light colours.    As a lighting bowl, I have only seen it in pink.....Had Franckhauser intented it for use with opalescent glass, he would have used plump, Thelwell-like pigeons or wrens, not gently moulded birds of paradise.

Yes I can see your point, but I personally don't like it.  Sorry.... I like the blue opalescent much much much more.  I like carnival glass more than I like this pink satin glass.  It reminds of those 1950s pink satin corsets with the pointy bra bits.  Which leads me nicely onto...

I can see that my effort in producing a carefully worked out theory, which I have christened Le Style Franckhauser, is a complete waste of time.   No-one has agreed, disagreed, or even criticised me for discussing women's breasts.   I haven't even had any anonymous phone calls!   It has had the worst possible reception — it has been completely ignored.

There you go you see.  Modern society is obviously a leg man. 

Which brings me onto a much more important topic.    Why have I never seen any plump children on plump little ponies when I cross the Thelwell Viaduct?   And why are there never any ocean-going sailing ships tictacking their way along the Manchester Ship Canal way down below?

important questions that require deep philosophical discussion.  And anyway why wasn't the Orwell Bridge built in 1984??  By pigs?
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2007, 07:21:27 PM »
Re the Manchester Ship Canal, there are plenty of ocean going ships to be seen chugging along. Rush hour in Warrington is considered a good time because it put at least two bridges and therefore main in and out routes out of action for about 20 mins each!

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2007, 02:56:59 AM »
Bernard, I have a copy of a photo of the same pattern bowl as a lightshade - birds with tails in just the same place as Lynne's bowl - but it is in blue not pink. The photo is not mine so I cannot post it to the gallery but it does prove they were made in colours other than pink.  :)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2007, 08:44:05 AM »
Bernard, I have a copy of a photo of the same pattern bowl as a lightshade - birds with tails in just the same place as Lynne's bowl - but it is in blue not pink. The photo is not mine so I cannot post it to the gallery but it does prove they were made in colours other than pink.  :)

Now that one is gorgeous - I saw that. The deep colour brings out the birds and I can imagine the light shining through would really be something.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand