No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: praying figure  (Read 7099 times)

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
Re: praying figure
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 06:45:17 PM »
http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de/tafelaufsaetze/02747.html

there is a different lady sitting in my bowl - is it a marriage please ?  :-X
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2007, 07:18:41 PM »
Yes, I think so. The lady is generally considered to be Czech, although I've never found a proper attribution. I have her in frosted green uranium

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2007, 08:09:19 PM »
Thank you Christine, I had already assumed something like that !
Well, Dexter or anyone else here: are you going for it? It is a BuyItNow and I could be tempted to do so in order to be able to compare and look for further hidden hints ? Thank you  :-[
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2007, 08:22:09 PM »
No not me. You go-ahead

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2007, 08:28:17 PM »
Bought in that same instance Christine  ;D If Dexter or anyone else wants it, I have got no problem to give it to him - but it had to be safe in our collectors' corner I believe  ;D
Pamela

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2007, 08:38:13 PM »
Pamela and Christine — I've often wondered whether your set, Pamela, could be a perfectly legitimate Sowerby product, as I have seen it before.   I am mindful of the comments in Baker & Crowe about exclusive centrepieces being made by Jobling for Marks & Spencer, which must relate to about 1935.   This is just one of several explanations for variations in design not appearing in the surviving pattern books and trade advertisements.

Another explanation is the most obvious, wear and tear or damage to the first mould, necessitating a replacement.

Bernard C.  8)

Later: Well done, Pamela.   Nice buy at quite a reasonable price.   :clap:
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2007, 08:40:57 PM »
Thank you Bernard  :-* I shall come back to this later upon receipt!
Pamela

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Hamburg, Germany
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2007, 08:50:17 PM »
Bernard, another big THANK YOU for that applause  :D
Always I think all of us have to grab these things from the market (as possible to their portemonnaie) as there will be no many returns!
Pamela

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2007, 07:36:09 AM »
You could be on the track of something there Bernard. My lady is a good colour match to a frosted butterfly candlestick, as far as I can tell - will have to look again at the weekend when I'm home in daylight. Unfortunately, I don't have a Sowerby lady to compare tree stumps with, but Pamela should be able to do that soon.

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2007, 09:30:46 AM »
Christine — I am just trying to ensure that everyone keeps an open mind.  That's all.   My suggestions are nothing more than possibilities, and there are many others.

Like you, I look forward to Pamela's conclusions.   I have never had the good fortune to compare these two figurines side by side.    Will it be same mouldmaker, same glassworks but possibly different mouldmaker (Sowerby probably had two mouldmakers in the 1930s, if you go on plinth pattern numbering punch fonts), or different glassworks?

Only three days ago, I had four examples of Wood Bros unpacked and on the table together for the first time.   It wasn't just the lettering, but everything else that matched perfectly.    In case you were wondering, they are Lillicrap, Scheerwonder, Blackpool Tower (I've given up trying to sell it!), and the 1938 Glasgow Pavilion (not the Tower of Empire from the same set illustrated in Dodsworth BGbtW).   Not just the same glassworks but the same designer and mouldmaker.   There is no substitute for lining them up next to each other and handling them;  photographs just don't work for this.

I can't wait for Pamela's revelations!

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand