No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: praying figure  (Read 7183 times)

Offline Sue C

• Members
Re: praying figure
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2007, 05:03:50 PM »
Hi all, Pamela and David, did they make this item in opalecent? as there seems to be one on Ebay, but they dont describe it very well, and i'm not sure :-\ i have only recently become interested in this type of glass, and would like to learn lots more, i'm off to the bookshop when i'm feeling better,

oh yes! item number 140069542935
Edited, just been back, and it may be camere flash.
They have a Bimini cocktail set also.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2007, 06:03:21 PM »
Just looks like clear frosted to me Sue  :-\

I've just had a another look at my green lady and as well as colour matching a frosted Sowerby bowl I've just identified from Glen's CD, her base would appear to be identical to the one of this lovely lady on Glen's site http://www.geocities.com/carni_glass_uk_2000/AndromedaVas.JPG. Eight ribs between holes and the shadowing effect at the bottom of the holes. From the bottom to the top of a rib measures 1.5 inches ... GLEN...

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2007, 09:24:32 PM »
Further to the above reply, I see that Glen also speculates, in Sowerby's Ellison Glass Works Volume 2, that my lady is Sowerby, i.e., that Sowerby made three ladies: the one known as Flora, the more common Stump lady and my brazen hussy. They are certainly all found with ribbed bases that appear very, very similar. Anyway here is my girl sitting in a Sowerby 2549 fruit bowl; she's certainly a very good colour match. Click to enlarge

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/lustrousstone/IMG_0963.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b217/lustrousstone/IMG_0962.jpg

So I think I was probaly wrong Pamela. Your lady and her bowl may not be a marriage

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2007, 08:43:24 PM »
bowl ok, the lady arrived smashed, broken  :'(

as my old Pentax doesn't work anymore I've got a new camera today and took some shots for the seller for a hopeful refund

as far as I can see on these first photos (being shocked I left the glass in the musuem) the base / flower block is NOT ribbed

more tommorrow

Anne, pleeeease may I again ask you to upload another photo for me - I promise to learn that soon, but not under these circumstances - thank you  :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2007, 09:15:54 PM »
Oh Pamela, how awful  :hug:

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2007, 09:22:41 PM »
Of course, Pamela, it's done for you here: http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4592

and how sad to see such damage to her.  :cry:

:hug: to Pamela
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2007, 09:25:30 PM »
Definitely a different base though ???

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2007, 09:31:43 PM »
Christine and Anne thank you! It's really a shame because I had asked for double boxing ... at least a separate box for the lady  >:D
Back to the glass: I guess a shall be able to investigate her at least regarding possible marks (Czech like the ballerina Anja had?)  everything is still possible - I'll let you know
Thanks again for your real friendship - very much appreciated - I feel better after you have posted  :-* :-* :-*
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2007, 10:13:40 PM »
Oh Pamela! I let out a long groan when I saw your photo.  What a terrible shame!   {{Pamela}}
I am not a man

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2007, 04:59:23 AM »
This thread has made me have a closer look at my 3 Stump Ladies.I did know before that one was a different size, smaller and had the ribbed base, where the other two didn't   On closer inspection of the 2 I thought where identical(excpet clorour) I have discovered , when I turned them upside down,that they have differences too.
Would you like me to take some pics and show?
Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand