No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: praying figure  (Read 7133 times)

Offline Bernard C

• Members
  • Milton Keynes based British glass dealer
Re: praying figure
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 05:56:26 AM »
Pamela — How sad and unnecessary.   I really felt for you, and it brought back to me the horrible day when I unpacked a Davidson trinket set bought on eBay, wrapped in a few pieces of newspaper, smashed to smithereens.   But that was deliberate;  the seller had listed it as perfect, but had forgotten to include the missing chips and had forgotten to wash years of grime off the old damage.

I wrote that one off as a learning experience, particularly as I was new then to eBay, and I was scared of retaliatory negative feedback, possibly eBay's most profitable feature.

I hope, Pamela, that you get a full refund.

Bernard C.  8)
Happy New Year to All Glass Makers, Historians, Dealers, and Collectors

Text and Images Copyright © 2004–15 Bernard Cavalot

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 06:13:37 AM »
Pamela,

How awful!  :'(    :hug: And this happened after you'd requested a box around the lady? Good luck, and I hope you do get your refund.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 07:45:29 AM »
Of course! Yes please. Anything to help solve the mystery, or should that be muddy the waters  ;D

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 12:34:35 PM »
Hi Julie,

I'd love to see the details of the three different stump ladies, too.

(BTW, saw the blue Brickwall vase...  ;D)

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 12:48:57 PM »
Pamela, i had to post after seeing what has happened to your lovely lady, and i feel guilty as i was the one who pointed this item out, i noticed this seller does'nt live far from me, if you have any problem's and would like me to act as go between, just let me know.

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 10:21:10 PM »
Thanks so much to ALL of you!
Please no-one has to feel guilty for anything except the packaging person  8)
The seller offered refund meanwhile, and I do want back only the money for the glass as 'bought it now' - she had postage costs and the bowl is intact, so I try to be fair.

BTW - also this bowl arrived broken today - sometimes I'm fed up with all these careless ebay negotiatiors  >:D

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190067347770

I am not as rich as they seem to think meanwhile - I want my money back, really :o((
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2007, 11:55:03 PM »
 :o :'( :hug: It's happened to me several times as well, but never with items so beautiful. You're right to be angry!

Maybe you should specify how the seller should pack the item. Since I started requesting proper packing, I've had less breakages, although one seller took offence at and gave me a negative  >:(. Some of my friends even ask the seller to check again for chips and cracks before they even consider bidding.

It might even be worth referring sellers to this wonderful 'me' page (from someone on this board  ;) ):
http://cgi3.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewUserPage&userid=utter-clutter

:hug:

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 04:37:11 AM »
Sorry I took so long getting back with the pics.
If you notice the smaller one in the middle with the ribbed base, her head is different and tilts downwards while the other two are looking straight ahead.The two that I thought were identical, you can see, are different underneath.
The pink bowl is the bowl  that came with the pink lady, when I purchased it many years ago from an Antique shop.
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4618

BTW Pamela, so sorry to hear about the damaged goods.How very disappointing it must have been. :(
Julie

Offline pamela

• Members
    • Pressed Glass 1840-1950
    • Hamburg, Germany
    • http://www.pressglas-pavillon.de
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 07:32:10 PM »
Cathy thank you - and shortly before this thread is moved to the Café (which is ok for me  :) ) if you read what the seller was asked regarding packaging and shipment of this item http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190067347770 , I had to get an idea of 'the seller is knowing what he is doing'... thought so...
Believe me, I had more than 1500 purchases of glass from ebay - normally the sellers all get their lesson how to package the item... Very few do as asked for: it's a shame! (it's also a shame always to collect packaging fees of GBP 4 for trash paper)
Pamela
Die Erfahrung lehrt, dass, wer auf irgendeinem Gebiet zu sammeln anfängt, eine Wandlung in seiner Seele anheben spürt. Er wird ein freudiger Mensch, den eine tiefere Teilnahme erfüllt, und ein offeneres Verständnis für die Dinge dieser Welt bewegt seine Seele.
Experience teaches that anyone who begins to collect in any field can feel a change in his soul. He becomes a joyful man filled with a deeper empathy, and a more open understanding moves his soul.
Alfred Lichtwark (1852-1914)

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2007, 05:26:16 AM »
I had forgotten about another stump lady I have. ::)This one is yet again different to the others I have.Hands not   to her chest, head is dipped down, different base and her hair is different, just to mention a few differences.
She measures approx. 7inches tall
I have added 3 pics of  her to the album
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4678

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand