No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: curiousity about a logo  (Read 3960 times)

Offline starla

• Members
curiousity about a logo
« on: February 04, 2005, 12:56:55 AM »
Hello, all...i am new to this board and wish you to excuse me of any ignorance that may follow.  i am trying to research the history and identity of a bowl that is now in my possession, but was given to my mother by a friend, in repayment of a favor.  My mother didn't really get the history of the bowl, since she's not big into collecting things, but she did remember the friend saying that it's collectible and she could have gotten at least $50 for it at a sale.  I am unable to ask the "friend" since she is to never know that my mother passed it on to me!  I assumed it was fenton.  upon examination, i see a  "F T" on a circle where the handle comes down into the body of the basket.   the basket itself is a beautiful wine colored glass, but the bottom and the rim, along with the handle, fades from red to yellow...i'm sorry if this is somewhat vague and i don't expect someone to give me every detail, but maybe a gentle shove in the right direction would be helpful.  Thank you for your time.  Starla

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
curiousity about a logo
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2005, 03:58:51 PM »
Check if the mark is one of the Fenton handler's marks - you can find out more here:
http://www.fentonartglass.com/fenton_handlersmarks.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline starla

• Members
curiosity...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2005, 05:05:18 PM »
no, it's none of those marks...in fact, there isn't a design or anything fancy about the stamp...it's simply the letters f t in the middle of a circle.  on the other side of the handle, in the same spot (where the handle meets the basket) is the same design, but this one is not as raised, which makes you have to look a little closer.  also, it looks like it may have slipped or something because you can see two f's staggered beside each other, and two t's.  when i research fenton, it seems like they are known for the ruffled edges, and my basket doesn't have that.  it's a straight edge.  i'm lost!!!  thanks so much for responding!!!
starla

Connie

curiousity about a logo
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2005, 08:11:50 PM »
Starla -

A picture would be very helpful.  One of the piece itself and of the mark if possible.

I can't claim to be a Fenton expert but it is my specialty and my own collecting passion  :lol:

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: curiousity about a logo
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2011, 03:24:13 PM »
Foster Forbes (USA) probably misreading the second (stylised) f as a t, but with no picture...

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Re: curiousity about a logo
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2011, 08:53:29 PM »
Hoping Starla is still reading the board, 6 years on....  :X:

If the colour fades from red to yellow it maybe be a type of glass called amberina.
See http://www.glassencyclopedia.com/amberinaglass.html for some makers of this type of glass, or use the board's search function to find more topics about amberina.

If you could add some photos of your bowl someone may be able to help pin down a maker for you.
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand