No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina axehead vase. New or Vintage?  (Read 11102 times)

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
Re: Mdina axehead vase. New or Vintage?
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2007, 11:38:34 AM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Please Miss, I know, I know!

Mark Hill is the gentleman who has been both writing for Miller's DK Collectables Price Guides, AND collecting and researching Harris dynasty glass. He thinks he might have been responsible for the axe thing.
Initially, Mdina did get into Miller's DK Collectables Price Guides, but before anybody really knew anything about it. Interest in it has been steadily growing, and folk have been trying to find out about it!
It was stuff that came from Malta.
A lot of it was unmarked.

You'll see in later Miller's DK Collectables Price Guides that the information is correct.

Until recently, there has been little or no information about Michael Harris, Mdina and everything else to do with him. It is only recently that Mark has been working with the Harris family in order to produce his fantastic and definitive book on Michael Harris. I really recommend it.

I think what Pip describes is absolutely the best way to deal with it. Get the wrong name into the listing by SAYING it's the wrong name.  ;D

You'll see, also, that the efforts of Marcus have paid off too, in getting the misnomer of Royal Bohemia removed from Miller's DK Collectables Price Guides, and correct attributions are now available.  Miller's DK Collectables Price Guides are GUIDES.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 07:46:05 PM »
Thanks Sue!
Yes, I admit I was the first to put 'Axehead' in print - partly as that is what seemed to be the general name at the time. I am sorry - I didn't know any better then, but I do now. I guess that is what 'learning' is about - this market was very young then, with tantamount to no real coverage. So, they ARE 'Fish' as that was what Michael Harris intended them to be called! As Sue also correctly says, this a later shape (more squared off) and colourway.
Also, could I be just a little pedantic and say that these listings (Mdina/IOW & Sklo Union) appear in the "DK Collectables Price Guides" by Judith Miller and published by Dorling Kindersley, for which I am co-author. I know it's common parlance to call us all 'Miller's', but we have nothing at all to do with 'Miller's', which is actually another book published by another company!
Thanks,
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
www.dk.com/judithmiller
Text and images © Mark Hill

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2007, 10:33:06 AM »
 :o

I've just bought the new guide, I had to go and check what it's called.
I checked last year's too.
No, it's NOT called "Miller's" any more!

::)Something else to get into the public conciousness.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2007, 10:41:10 AM »
Hi Mark, i have the D.K guide book on 20th cen glass, and i love it, congadulations on a super article in Collect It about Mdina.
How would you like people to differentciate between Miller's guide book's, and Judith's and your book's? as MIller's guide book's and then as D.K. Collectable guide's ? some people do get confused, and it should clear thing's up a bit when people state where they got their information from, and also detach you from the Millers guide's.
                                                                                   Sue

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2007, 10:49:45 AM »
 ???

I need to be a little more pedantic rigorous myself, Mark! Apologies for implying that you "invented" the axe thing, as you point out, it seemed to be a descriptive term folk used for these pieces of glass before we knew better, so that was why it ended up in print.

When things are still being researched, endeavours for truth will always, like science, only be to the best standards possible, given the information and knowledge available at the time.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2007, 10:56:01 AM »
Thanks Sue!
Yes, I admit I was the first to put 'Axehead' in print - partly as that is what seemed to be the general name at the time. I am sorry - I didn't know any better then, but I do now. I guess that is what 'learning' is about - this market was very young then, with tantamount to no real coverage. So, they ARE 'Fish' as that was what Michael Harris intended them to be called! As Sue also correctly says, this a later shape (more squared off) and colourway.
Also, could I be just a little pedantic and say that these listings (Mdina/IOW & Sklo Union) appear in the "DK Collectables Price Guides" by Judith Miller and published by Dorling Kindersley, for which I am co-author. I know it's common parlance to call us all 'Miller's', but we have nothing at all to do with 'Miller's', which is actually another book published by another company!
Thanks,
Mark
www.dk.com/judithmiller

Sorry Mark!  I went and checked, and yes, you are right of course... the one with the axehead in it is a DK, in my ordinary Millers Collectables, the one lollipop I could find is just called a Mdina vase  ::)
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2007, 04:48:39 PM »
Hi all,
Thanks for the updates and changes over the Miller's and Judith Miller price guide issue. A lot of people here refer to our guides as the 'J.Miller' book, but then they may also/actually be referring to our 20thC Glass book. I know that the 'DK Collectables Price Guide by Judith Miller' is a tad long-winded to say the least, so I guess the best thing to do is to call 'Millers' what they are and then either call ours the Judith Miller Collectables Guide or the DK Collectables Guide - at least both differentiate from Millers.
As they say in cloying Hollywood films, but honestly meant here - thank you for caring!!
Best,
Mark
www.dk.com/judithmiller

Glad you enjoyed the Collect It! article Dexter - thanks for the feedback  ;)
Text and images © Mark Hill

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2007, 05:01:35 PM »
Thank's Mark, so now we can have a distinct difference between the two, and i promise to correct freinds's on the difference also'.

Sue

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2007, 05:18:49 PM »
Anyway Mark, it is so excellent to have you here, that to call your books by their correct name is the very least we can do!

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2007, 06:43:54 PM »
Mark's visits here are sporadic but then like Ivo he has a life  ;D  Hi Mark, Happy New Year ....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand