No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Mdina axehead vase. New or Vintage?  (Read 11104 times)

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
Re: Mdina axehead vase. New or Vintage?
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 08:16:46 PM »
:P ;D

It's manta rays they're supposed to look like, from above.

Okay, I can buy into that! What did Mr. Harris have against axeheads?  :)

Carolyn

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2007, 09:46:54 AM »
  ;D

I suppose it's just not the name he gave them. ::)

As he was such an incredibly important figure in the Studio Glass Movement, I do think it would be more pertinent for the vases to go down in history with the correct name, the one he gave them.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2007, 10:24:20 AM »
  ;D

I suppose it's just not the name he gave them. ::)

As he was such an incredibly important figure in the Studio Glass Movement, I do think it would be more pertinent for the vases to go down in history with the correct name, the one he gave them.

But lots of things get called mnemonic names that weren't given by the original makers. I don't see the usual names for Whitefriars glass vases in any of the catalogues, just the shape numbers for example. 
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2007, 11:28:50 AM »
 ;D

I'm only pointing out the wishes of the Harris family. I feel strongly that these should be respected.

I do understand that things get called things other than their original names, for all sorts of reasons, but at the moment, there is still a remote possibility that the correct name could be the one to be remembered, so I'm busily pointing it out whenever I can.
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2007, 01:21:41 PM »
I'm only pointing out the wishes of the Harris family. I feel strongly that these should be respected.

I do understand that things get called things other than their original names, for all sorts of reasons, but at the moment, there is still a remote possibility that the correct name could be the one to be remembered, so I'm busily pointing it out whenever I can.

Me too Sue, I've got used to calling these fish vases now so it's easy to keep calling them that.  There was one in a charity shop the other day (with a very hefty price tag on so I didn't buy it) but interestingly it was labelled up as a 'Mdina Fish/Axe Vase' - so I think your efforts in getting the proper name out are filtering down.

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 01:30:02 PM »
And of course, they should be called what the creator wanted them to be called.

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 01:37:21 PM »
;D

I do agree with you, I was simply devil's advocating for a moment.  And I do try to name them correctly - although I still mention axe somewhere in the listing as it is still a keyword that people search for, although I suppose in its way this is simply making the use of the correct name further away...  :(

Difficult to know what to do as an internet seller, I need to get people to find the listing in the first place, so do I miss out on those people using the incorrect term, or fish (on the hoof editing: please excuse the unintentional pun) using the widest net possible? 

Or is this really getting into the realms of keyword spamming, if it is not the correct name?

Likewise, is it reasonable to spell Wedgwood as Wedgewood somewhere in your listing to attract the people who can't spell.  Which in fact I don't do.

So am I talking myself out of using the term axe at all????

(please excuse the stream of consciousness..... ;D)

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2007, 01:43:11 PM »
Lynne, I know exactly where you're coming from - what I tend to do when listing items that are regularly incorrectly named is to say something like 'Offered for sale is a Mdina Fish Vase - these are often incorrectly described as Axeheads' - that way you manage to elbow the wrong description in to pick up those searching for axeheads yet at the same time you educate them as to the correct name!  As for Wedgwood, it's an ongoing problem, those that insist on putting in the 'e' - I don't quite know what to do about those since I absolutely hate spelling errors and that's what it is so I don't put in my listings either.  I suppose proper collectors will know the correct spelling of Wedgwood.

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2007, 10:12:00 PM »
;D

Of course! I was just curious as the original poster, seemed quite adament (and for the life of me, I couldn't find a fish  ::)  :)  )

I certainly have no problem following the designers wishes.

Carolyn

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2007, 11:01:18 PM »
So I'm leafing through my Miller's Collectables books in front of watching the video of Cash in the Attic... (as you do...)

and what do I find in 2006...:

Mdina Axehead vase...

twice!

and a lollipop described as a fish...

and then in (I think it was 2004)  - Another!

so who is getting the short straw of educating Judith Miller???   :o :o

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand