No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Marked Germany Glass Monk? Lamp  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Ohio

• Members
    • Glass USA & Art Deco Lamps
Marked Germany Glass Monk? Lamp
« on: January 03, 2007, 07:15:44 AM »
Hi. Thought I'd try this one again as I think it's been about a year & a half since I last tried, but figured maybe something new has popped up. I've had a pair of these for a good 10 years, Solid glass 9" height X 3" width figurine, marked in very small letters "Germany" between a robe fold in the rear bottom.
I saw another one in Amber at a show 5 years ago, but the gentleman was as lost as I was for a attribution. Sue (BlacK-Poppy) helped me out on a Mueller figurine & bowl last time so I guess there is hope after all on some of these obscure pieces. I do not believe it's Walther, but again I'm lost. Thanks for looking. Sorry about the pictures, with this thing its difficult to get a decent photo. Ken

http://www.glasstreasurechest.com/catalog/images/germanlamp.jpg

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Marked Germany Glass Monk? Lamp
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 03:22:16 PM »
What is the base made from?

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2007, 05:25:39 PM »
Frank the base appears to be white metal, but not the normal spelter as it's a full 1/8" thick. A magnet does not stick so I'm assuming it's some type of zinc based metal. Ken

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2007, 05:50:02 PM »
Hi Ken, hope you don't mind, but it is'nt a monk, it;s a Thai Buddha, go to house of Buddha.com and scroll down, i think you will find a match for yours.
sorry should have said click on traditional buddhas

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2007, 07:36:31 PM »
Dexter: Thanks, should have been more specific in my title & said Buddha. Went there, but could not find a match, however it obviously is Buddha related especially because the markings at the base could be Buddist in nature. Ken

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 12:33:41 PM »
As for the German link, a Dr Paul Dahlke built a Buddhist house in 1924 in Berlin Frohnau, when he died in 1928 the house passed to his none Buddhist heirs, maybe they sold off some of his Buddhist items? just a thought.

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 01:33:49 PM »
It is probably aluminium and that would date to the 1890-1920's period when it was a very popular metal in decorative arts.

As it is moulded, there must have been many made so it should turn up with an ID one day.. but maybe not to a glassworks as much lighting was outsourced to glassworks.

Offline Ohio

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 02:54:08 PM »
Thanks Frank. I think you're correct in aluminum, doesn't have the traits of spelter. I was afraid of that. Same situation exists with 20's & 30's U.S. glass parts for lamps...everybody made them under subcontracts & nobody kept records. Well it's a German glass firm so at least I have the country, unfirtunately which German firm is probably lost in time. Ken

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand