No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: LSA International - Polish glass  (Read 15439 times)

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
LSA International - Polish glass
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2005, 07:21:48 PM »
there is no link at all between Jablonsky and LSA. LSA is a british based dealer who used to sell Krosno glass, now they spread their orders over various Polish glass makers. They sell to furniture and decorator outlets all over Europe - they're a brand name, not a glass maker, and their design activity is limited.
Jablonsky makes cheap "art" glass in quite considerable series, all pieces signed.  No connection.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2005, 09:52:46 PM »
Quote from: "Ivo"
there is no link at all between Jablonsky and LSA. LSA is a british based dealer who used to sell Krosno glass, now they spread their orders over various Polish glass makers.

Does this not include the Jablonsky Crystal factory?  I presumed this was the case as there is a link to their site in the page of the Polish Chamber of Commerce site which talks about LSA.  

Jablonsky makes cheap "art" glass in quite considerable series, all pieces signed.  No connection.

Does the "" in the above quote mean you don't think it's really 'art' glass?  Can you say why?  

Also, I may be a cheapskate but $200 for a Jablonsky vase doesn't seem 'cheap' art glass to me!   :?  

When you speak of "quite considerable series", are you referring to what Adam Jablonsky himself makes, or what the factory which bears his name turns out?

I admit I am confused again now  :(

Leni
Leni

Anonymous

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2005, 11:13:45 PM »

Good evening

Would appreciate what criteria you use in order to attach the label cheap "art" glass. Is this in relation to design, finish.originality and what quite are the distinguishing features you apply that actually determines a piece of glass as "art" glass, whether cheap or not. Would I be jumping the gun by suggesting that the argument would be difficult to justify in terms less than subjective.
The brevity of your comment would appear to suggest lacking in merit but I'm not sure that this was your intention.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2005, 12:10:10 AM »
Cheap has different connotations in different cultures and is not necessarily derisive.

It is generally accepted that Art Glass is glass produced by factories that goes beyond utility function and form. Be it designed by a named designer or a faceless one.

Glass Art refers to work that is produced by artists in the medium of glass.

Price has more to do with galleries for unestablished artists and reputation for successful artists. There are many artists using glass as a medium who produce very cheap items, plenty on eBay, but $200 is probably a median price for a piece of blown glass in a relatively straightforward manner and sold through a gallery.

Good, bad or indifferent is usually subjective. Some love the Drunken bricklayers art glass and others loathe it.

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2005, 11:19:28 AM »
I'm sure they're honourable glass makers, I'm sure their intentions are sincere, but Jablonsky are the curse of the antique trade.  Picture an antique fair with 1500 stalls, and on 1000 stalls you see identical Jablonsky vases in three different sizes.  That is stretching the art in art glass. Worse than that, most dealers seem to think they are offering something exquisite and exclusive, in stead of lumpy and mass produced.  You were right to notice a slight hint of disapproval - I just don't like their products.

Offline tmaritta

• Members
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2005, 11:23:37 AM »
I am not really in the position to comment what is art glass and what is not.  However, I would like to comment on the word 'cheap'.   Obviously I am not a native speakear, so I did not grow up with the words cheap and inexpensive.  But I am being told off by my american husband if I use the word cheap, other than if I mean to be derogatory.  So now to me too, 'cheap' is never worth of buying, because the quality of the item, whatever it is, is too low.  

Inexpensive is the word I would like to be used in connection of art glass as well.  Or a bargain buy.

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2005, 11:42:16 AM »
I'm sure they're honourable glass makers, I'm sure their intentions are sincere, but Jablonsky are the curse of the antique trade.  Picture an antique fair with 1500 stalls, and on 1000 stalls you see identical Jablonsky vases in three different sizes.  

Good morning
Somewhat surprised at you posting regarding jablonski flooding the antique trade. Is this something peculiar to the Netherlands because it is not something I have noticed here.  The only large fair I attend is Alexandra Palace and as an avid glass collector, and the owner of a couple of fine Jablonski pieces, it is something I would have spotted and could hear myself thinking " oh .. not something I expected to see "..
Could other members comment on the proliferation, or otherwise, of Jablonski at major UK fairs.

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

Offline Ivo

• Author
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2005, 11:49:22 AM »
Most definitely on all antique fairs in Holland since about 5 years, but also found in Germany, Belgium and France and as far afield as Scandinavia and the US.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2005, 12:09:54 PM »
Quote from: "MORGAN48
Could other members comment on the proliferation, or otherwise, of Jablonski at major UK fairs.

Yes, please do!  'Cos I'll be there like a shot buying them up!  

Especially if I can get them for under $200   :lol:

Sorry you don't like them Ivo - more for those of us who do?  Good job we don't all like the same thing, or the prices would go even higher, and Ms Cheapskate would have even less glass in her collection.   :wink:

But Ivo, do you really mean the pieces made by Adam Jablonski himself, or other stuff coming out of the Jablonski Crystal factory?  I am unsure of exactly what the 'mass-produced' stuff is like?  Any pics?  The big vases shown on the Polish Chamber of Commerce site looked difficult to mass-produce - other than in the way that, for example, a Caithness paperweight (even in a limited edition of 500) or Pershire millefiori weights could be said to be 'mass-produced'.  

Also, I'm still unsure if LSA do supply Jablonski glass under their label, or if the mention of the two names on the PCoC site confused me.  You seemd to think they don't.  Can you clarify this for me?   :?

Does anyone know exactly which factory or factories are covered by the LSA label?  (Back to my original question, from which I got rather distracted  :oops: )

Leni
Leni

Offline Morgan48

• Members
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2005, 12:32:08 PM »
Hi Leni

If you have not seen this link I'm sure you will appreciate it....I really cant get my head around these as considered "cheap...but to each their own I suppose.

www.chamberofcommerce.pl/glass/jablon/vases.html

Regards

Gareth

Morgan48

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand