No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Strathearn ?  (Read 4831 times)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Strathearn ?
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2007, 11:25:30 PM »
Points to note about the various weights shown (according to my theories):

In the initial query item, the stems of the flowers are formed with the colour of the petals being pushed down, showing that the petals were initially set with their inner parts well connected. There is very little effect of the stems being just long air bubbles.

In all the others, the stems are mostly or completely "air tubes" because when the tool was pushed into the centre of the petals there was not much connected colour to be dragged down.

In the first, the flowers all have six petals. In the others they all seem to have at least seven petals.

For the first, the overall shaping of the dome is different, with the others having much higher domes in relation to their width.

When seen through the base, the "pot" of the first appears to have a larger diameter than the others which all have a clearly small diameter.

Although all have pots of a similar style and all have simple "trumpet flowers", the first weight has significant differences which makes me think that even if it is "Bohemian", it may not be from the same time, or general location, as the others, which I think are all later 20th century. In hindsight, I now wish that I had bid so that I might have had a chance to check UV and Specfic Gravity. (But then I don't yet have one of the "later 20th century " versions, so a comparison would have meant yet another outlay for one of those!)

Whether the first weight is "nice" or not is purely a subjective view, but the objective points of difference between it and the others makes it really fascinating to folk like me. ;D
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand