No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Decanter carafe bottle vase ? Anyone know the maker  (Read 4554 times)

Offline ahremck

• Members
Re: Decanter carafe bottle vase ? Anyone know the maker
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2012, 05:55:35 AM »
Just be careful Paul.  Glass and water have a very high surface tension.  Too good a fit will make the stopper unable to be removed.  Suggest you use the paste with a little vaseline so the surface tension is modified.

Ross
I bamle all snileplg eorrrs on the Cpomuter Kyes.  They confuse my fingers !!!

Offline Paul S.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 01:01:47 PM »
thanks for the warning Ross.........then you certainly wouldn't have liked my first idea which was to somehow fit the stopper into a chuck on my woodworking lathe, apply a little paste and gently offer up the body whilst the stopper was turning  -  all this to hasten the end result!!       I decided against this method just in case the two parts jammed whilst the stopper was still turning :o
However, I'd swear I have read in one of my books recently that chucking the stopper was a method used by some of the old guys.          I'll now try it manually, and when done will post pics of the decanter, whose origin I know nothing of. :)

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2023, 02:01:05 AM »
I now have two of these, one came with a stopper, the other didn't and has no neck wear to suggest it should have had one.

What is interesting is that there is a significant difference in the top of each piece - the stoppered one is thicker and the stopper fits well, the other one is a slightly more flared top and the stopper doesn't fit it at all well, so I wondered if Morven may have been made as a carafe as well as a decanter?
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand