No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Now here is a REAL challenge! Portland vase  (Read 17490 times)

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Re: Now here is a REAL challenge! Portland vase
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2013, 05:42:15 PM »
This is a copy of the Portland Vase done as an  engraving (on blue over clear overlay I believe) done by Franz Zach in 1862
http://www.cmog.org/artwork/copy-portland-vase#.USuiIDCeN_U
added for reference re the discussion on Portland vase copies

m

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
May I just add here that Nazeing Glass were going to reproduce the Portland vase, but the 2007 recession put paid to that ambition and that we decided having stopped making lead crystal in April 2003, to concentrate on developing a better  non toxic crystal than out barium crystal that had most of the properties of lead, which we achieved and patented in May 2012. It looks like lead crystal, has a ring like lead crystal, can be cut and polished like lead crystal but has no lead! We were going to call it "Non Toxic Crystal" but have been threatened with legal action by the big lead crystal manufacturers who are afraid that a panic will occurr and we could be scaremongering and that lead crystal is perfectly safe now, so have dropped non toxic in the title and gone for "Improvements in crystal glass" in our patent title.

Regarding the longevity, we have always stated that we were the last glass company left in Vauxhall when the Kemptons moved out to Nazeing in 1928, an area whose glass making history goes back to 1612 and Sir Edward Zouche's works- never that we were directly descended!
But....But.. and this is STOP press!..
tTe latest research proves that Charles Henry Kempton who founded the Albert Glass Works in 1874, was the son in law of Henry Hall  profession Glassblower- the marriage certificate original I have states this
This Henry Hall we believe was the direct descendant ( grandson?) of Stephen Hall who owned both the Falcon Stairs Glassworks- later Apsl;ey Pellat AND Whitefriars Glass.
He bought the glass works by Whitefriars Dock circa 1770 from Carey Stafford and it appears "had considerable expertise in mixing coloured glass" . This comes from the superb book on Whitefriars Glass by Wendy Evans , Catherine Ross adn Alex Werner, Museum of London.

My latest research seems to conclude that some pieces in Cryril Manleys excellent book of "Decorative Victorian Glass" is in fact London made and some pieces are by Kemmptons, as they appear in adverts of the 1880's!
All will be revealed in my forthcoming paper, "Peering through the smog and obscurity of Victorian Glass makers."

Finally regarding family glassmakers, what about the Riedel family? They show a document dated 1756 on their offical website........and how do you define family? Our claim is three families, Hall, Kempton and Pollock-Hill ( 2 generations) over nearly 300 years, not Riedel -one family!

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2013, 04:47:56 PM »
Re: Portland vase.
incidentally I was delighted when Richard Golding and Ian Dury and Terri Collidge decided to take up the Portland Vase challenge for Stourbridge as the first replica was made there by Philip Pargeter and John Northwood, and I attended the official unveiling at Hagley Hall in June 2012.
It was something that needed to be done again, over 100 years later, and the final result is excellent and a great tribute to the craftsmanship still in Stourbridge.

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
Thank you for the update :)  will you let us know how we can order a copy of your document please?
many thanks
m

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2013, 09:31:25 AM »
Stephen, you can distribute any papers using a free service facility on www.glass-study.org - you can provide papers to visitors free of charge or paid with payment direct to your own paypal account. Should you later amend the paper, downloaders can get the updated version.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Sadly, no not Nazeing  tracing back to 1612,
But my contender is Glasshutte  fabrik von Poschinger in Bavaria, which celebrated 450 years in the same family las t year 2019, when my wife and I visited it but can trace itself back to 1569 in the same family ownership!
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasmanufaktur_von_Poschinger

Offline chopin-liszt

• Members
    • Scotland, Europe.
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2020, 04:24:25 PM »
This thread is about the Portland vase, not the oldest glassworks. Did you mean to post this (very interesting) link here?  :)
Cheers, Sue M. (she/her)

‘For every problem there is a solution: neat, plausible and wrong’. H.L.Mencken

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2020, 05:32:41 PM »
ooh I just have to add to Stephen's post though before it's moved :)

I thought Chrbska was the oldest glass manufactory.

http://www.luzicke-hory.cz/mista/index.php?pg=obchrid

' The von Schleinitz family owned Chřibská in Horní(Oberkreibitz) a glassworks, the existence of which is confirmed with certainty in 1504. This glassworks remained in the possession of the Friedrich family until 1689; later it changed hands several times, among which after 1742 the Kittel family was the best known. The hut was in operation almost continuously until 2007.'

and

'...A number of production facilities have disappeared and in 2007 the glass factory in Horní Chřibská , the oldest continuously operating glass factory in Central Europe, was closed.'

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2020, 03:26:21 PM »
The clue is "until 2007". I believe it is no longer working!

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2020, 03:38:03 PM »
But your challenge was
'The oldest continuous glass factory in the world'
And Chribska opened in 1504 and closed in 2007

So - it was open continuously for 503 years.

Making it the oldest (opened 1504 v. your comment about Poschinger opening 1569) and continuous (running for 503 years v Poschinger which is still open but 'only' on 451 years currently).

I don't think anything can take away from the fact that Chrbska opened in 1504!  It is a claim to fame :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand