No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Now here is a REAL challenge! Portland vase  (Read 17806 times)

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Now here is a REAL challenge! Portland vase
« on: January 04, 2007, 05:52:29 PM »
Flushed with the success of recreating some circa 1720 bottles with prunts for Glenmorangie's Ardbegg brand, we plan to celebrate the 400th anniversay of our founding in Vauxhall (Sir Edward Zouche's factory 1612) by attempting to make 10 replicas of the world-famous Portland vase!
Yes I know Philip Pargeter and John Northwood did it around 1870,( see Corning museum), as did Josiah Wedgwood, but they did not know the exact chemical formula the Romans used.
Now, since the last repair done by the British museum, and working closely with them, we hope to produce as faithful a facsimile (well without the glue and cracks of the original) as can be done!
I personally think it was a drinking vessel originally not a funery vase and that it had a base (no, not the disc found inside that appears to be Venetian - those damn Murano artists get everywhere!) according to the latest micro-spectrometry results! I reckon a Doge wanted a Venetian version alongside it with his portrait on it!
Anyway, any thoughts, comments, (Yes, we are crackers to try it, but we have two new small furnaces, as expertise in Bristol blue and some very talented keen glassmakers who enjoy a challenge!), or good wishes would be welcome!
Stephen @ Nazeing Glass Works!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Now here is a REAL challenge! Portland vase
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 06:06:21 PM »
Indeed, you get my good wishes. Very interesting project!

Can you clarify the bit about the Venetian disk?

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 06:06:52 PM »
By the way it was named after the Duke of Portland one of its many owners whose family sold it to the British Museum. I'm just reading a new book about it!
Not Portland, Oregan for our US members info! :-*

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 06:07:15 PM »
Good Luck!  I look forward to the picture here when you have the first one made.

I say the first one with my tongue in my cheek ,  :o  I am wondering how many goes you may need to get it right! 

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 06:09:01 PM »
Let me bring the book in and |I will quote exactly but a cameo disc of similar style was found in the bottom of the vase and thought for many years to be part of a broken foot!
see www.britishmuseum.co.uk/portlandvase

Offline Sue C

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2007, 06:10:03 PM »
Good luck Stephen, it's a mighty task to take on. hope all go's well.

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2007, 06:13:41 PM »
http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/science/portland%20vase/sr-portland-p3.htm
Sorry here is the correct URL. It must "perhaps" the most famous ( infamous) piece of glass in history aowing to the fabulous names of the owners and spectators of it, including the Irish vandal who deliberately smashed it......as if we glassmakers do not get blamed for producing such fragile products that they do not bounce!

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2007, 07:56:36 PM »
Fascinating.  I bet you're pleased you don't have to make a piece of cameo glass too.  :o  Very best wishes with your project.  :)

(going off to discover what antimony is now...)
I am not a man

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2007, 10:50:58 PM »
This sounds like a wonderful project and will no doubt be a great learning experience for all involved. I saw a TV program some years ago of a replica being produced (was that one for, or by, the British Museum? My memory fails me on who it was who did it - maybe it was you good folk at "ngw"?)

Are you considering recording the process on film / video?
KevinH

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2007, 11:57:59 PM »
This is history in the making, hence the move to this forum to ensure it remains.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand