No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Australian Crown Crystal Question  (Read 2136 times)

Offline JC

• Members
Australian Crown Crystal Question
« on: January 04, 2007, 09:26:46 PM »
Cathy,(or anyone) Can you confirm that this sugar bowl is indeed made by Crown Crystal 1930's? I was so sure it was, but now, am not all that sure any more, after someone queried it. :-\
TIA
Julie
 http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4462

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Re: Australian Crown Crystal Question
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 02:02:37 AM »
Hi Julie

Yes, it is a Crown pattern, but as usual it might be a copy from elsewhere. The mould was ordered in 1938, catalogue no. is either 358 or 378 (the numbers are overtyped, looks like 5 is heavier, so probably 5), and it was made from the drawing of a someone called Schaub.

I'd be interested to hear from Pamela and Glen as to whether the pattern appears elsewhere.

Cheers!

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 02:08:31 AM »
HI Cathy, thanks very much. ;D
I wonder if this is Crown Crystal Crystals  version of Imperial's Candlewick.They had balls for handles and for stems.
Julie

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 03:41:55 AM »
Hmm, not really - if they were going to copy they tended to make something pretty close to the original. CC's is a far more deco-inspired piece.

Here's one candlewick sugar basin http://www.justglassmall.com/stores/cupboard3/items/579852/item579852justglass.html

Offline JC

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 04:00:31 AM »
  I suppose I worded that little incorrectly Cathy. ;D I wasn't meaning they fully copied  the Candlewick sugar bowl but maybe they were inspired by Candlewick, hence the balls on the handles. :)
It will interesting to see if Pamela or Glen know of another company who made almost identical, that CC copied.

Julie

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand