No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruda Glasbruk  (Read 14071 times)

Offline patriciabright

• Members
    • http://brightgems.net
Ruda Glasbruk
« on: February 04, 2005, 03:45:59 PM »
Hi, I was advised by a collector from Sweden that the glass I had on my home page, described as "Whitefriars" was not in fact Whitefriars But was made by Ruda Glasbruk. Designed by Gote Augustsson. If you want any further info on this I can give you her email address (that is if your enquiry is genuine) I am not familiar with this glass maker, but was told that the glass was made in the sixties and the factory closed in the 1970's. :D
onart Glass collector/ContempararyArt &Antiques

Offline Bill G

• Glass Professional
  • Members
    • World Art Glass
Ruda Glass Works
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2005, 09:04:28 PM »
I have located three towns in Sweden with the name of
Ruda. One is near Finspang which is not too far from Remyre Glass Works and is my guess where this glass works was located. I will contact the Glass Museum in
Vaxjö to see what information they have on the designer
and company.
Thank you for researching in my book
Bill Geary

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2005, 05:46:06 PM »
Ruda Glasbruk existed from 1910 to 1972. Ruda is a town in the "glasriket" or Kingdom of Glass in Sweden. This where all the main glass companies of Sweden are based. Kosta, Orrefors, Maleras etc, are all there.

The most common pieces are in Cobalt Blue and are from the series called "Kobolt". Obviously! LOL!!!

The brown/amber pieces are from the "Orient" series.

A green coloured series that is not common is called "Turkos" (turquoise).

There are clear glass items and also orange and red vases that sort of look like the colours of flames. I don't know the names of these. The blue vases etc, are by far the most common. The only designer that pops up is Gote Augustsson. He was definitely around in the sixties as a lot of the pieces have the transparent Ruda label with his name.

I am still trying to find out more myself about the company and Augustsson. I am also needingto find out more about Aseda Glasbruk and Bo Borgstrom. A holiday in Sweden beckons I think! LOL!

Gote Augustsson worked there from the late fifties until the end in 1972. Apparently they were selling the glass for less than it cost to make! Never a good business plan! That would account for the closure of the factory then.

I would assume it was not very popular at the time. This begs the question as to why did they bother making it?

I'll find out more.

I imagine an importer did bring them in but probably not G Hardy. I have never seen any of their labels on any pieces. They usually have the Ruda label and quite often are without it as it has been lost, washed off etc. Ruda are not among any list of G Hardy suppliers I have found. Very little of the Aseda items found here in the UK have the Aseda label. Unless I am selling them on Ebay!!! LOL!!!

It is quite intriguing though. Very little information is available on the exporting/importing of glass such as this.

I know little about Aseda Glasbruk other than they existed from 1947-1977. Were swallowed by Royal Krona group in 1975 and then closed. I know where the town of Aseda is. Its now mainly involved in the production of Aluminium. Bo Borgstrom was their main/most famous designer but there is little on him. G Hardy obviously took a lot of production. I find it odd that a company that made so much is very much a mystery!

Any info at all would be a bonus!

Vidfletch

Offline glasswizard

• Members
    • Terry's Glass
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2005, 09:46:47 AM »
David, here is a piece that I own you might find interesting.  The lable reads "Svensk Form--Bo Borgstrom---Sweden--Aseda

http://tinypic.com/1tu5nl

Another piece in my collection with a lable. This one just says Sweden Aseda. Hope you enjoy Terry in Iowa

http://tinypic.com/1tuaag

Moderator: Tinypic images gone so links deleted.

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2005, 02:00:52 AM »
I have found out some more information on Ruda Glasbruk.

They were founded in the village of Ruda on the 14th of June 1920. Prior to this only the Railway Station was there! At first they sold household glass to a company called NK in Stockholm and had several months production bought in advance. The workforce was about 30 and in 1930 the employees took over the factory. Production was modernised an consisted of mainly pressed and blown household glass. Later, Crystal was added. The company was now called AB Nya Ruda Glasindustri.

In 1947 a company called Jungner bought Ruda. Göte Augustsson arrived from this company and became Works Manager and Chief Designer. During the war Göte was involved with making optical glass for various instruments including binoculars. They actually bought Ruda to make fireproof glass and was the only company in Scandinavia to do so! The factory was now to make laboratory glass, household glass, and coloured ornamental glass. They also made items to special order including the red glass for the lanterns for the Swedish State Railway! They also made glass containers for Electrolux products like food processors. Another item was glass containers for Alfa-Laval, a Swedish company who still make milking machines and liquid processing systems today!

The site of Ruda Glasbruk has been in the process of being environmentally cleaned in the last few years due to chemical contamination. For the Blue KOBOLT range they did use Cobalt. Cadmium was used for yellow glass. Cadmium and Selenium was used to make the red railway lanterns. Even the company brochures made a point of the fact all these different metals were used to make the Art Glass! In 1969 the workforce was about 70 and they made about 500 tonnes of glass a year and this continued to the end in 1972. No wonder the place was contaminated!

I am trying to find out more about the specific ranges of glass. I will make this information available when I get it.

Vidfletch :o

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2005, 10:52:56 AM »
David -

Well done, fantastic information. Have you got any pictures of the labelled products? Or unlabelled products, so we can see what they look like? It would make a good little web page, if you had the time and inclination...

Take care and thanks!

Cathy.

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 11:35:59 PM »
Patricias one is definitely by Ruda Glasbruk. The colour is "Orient" .

I sold one of these amongst other Ruda items on Ebay earlier this year.

I have all the pictures of the items I had.

The company I mentioned called NK that took all of the early RUDA GLABRUK production is a group of department stores in Sweden. They are still in existence today and have always stocked glass from the major companies of Sweden.

See www.nk.se .

Vidfletch :)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Post subject
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2005, 02:48:42 PM »
Errr! That's a stange link above, thought it was going to show some glass, but I just got an "art" film clip - did I do something wrong, or is that how you pass yours days David?

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2005, 12:44:24 PM »
Emmi,

It's only the link to the shops website! Its a poncy shop for people with more money than sense or style!

In saying that, click and ye shall find! Oh aye, and learn some Swedish like I have been this year! LOL!!!

See you on the other side!

-----------

I mentioned earlier in my post about the history of Ruda Glasbruk that they were owned by a company called JUNGNER.

I have on Ebay right now, a candleholder, which has an original company label in Swedish. It appears to suggest that it was given as a promotional gift for Christmas! It translates roughly as the following below.

"With this sample of Rudas new series "Grön Rustik" , we wish you a Good Christmas"

Quite rare wouldn't you think?

I don't like blatantly advertising stuff either but you did ask! LOL!!! There will be more soon too.

It does mean Green Rustic or Rustic green by the way.

"Aktiebolaget" means "Limited Company" so i think it all means "Swedish Limited Group of Companies". Something like that. JUNGNER obviously owned a few places.

I thought I would show everyone a new piece of Ruda that has recently passed through my hands!

I don't know the proper name for this range but I call it "Flame" for obvious reasons! This and the clear Ruda pieces are not very common.

It is about 4" high and has the Ruda and Gote Augustsson labels.

Vidfletch :D

Offline David555

• Members
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2005, 10:32:27 PM »
Good bit of researching Vidfletch - few things I didn't know

I think the green piece shouts Ruda and Gote Augustsson design - You are right G Hardy never as far as I am concerned exported or were agents for Ruda - I do love the original label with the Xmas greeting - I never knew that Ruda was owned / made by Jungner, a lovely bit of evidence right there on the glass

I don't think Ruda is that well known in the UK - I have only seen one piece - it is seriously undervalued at the moment - price guides have 8" vases by Gote Augustsson at around £70.00 (J Miller 2004 pp289 Viking Textured Vase) - compared to W/F, and it doesn't come up that often on eBay, I do see nice bits on private websites at £20.00 - £30.00, some have lovely pictures and good information - but who needs it after all you have told us http://www.potteryglass.com/swedish.htm

Ruda did some really way out designs - I am sure a fair few didn't sell in volume and are a good investment at the current prices

two classic Ruda pieces by Gote Augustsson

I have not seen the smooth cased vase before great to have the 1960s label and 'Gote Augustsson' label - I would have thought the piece was 1970s rather than 60s but the label tells otherwise (I think as the factory closed in early 1970s) - How long did that designer work for the company - your cased 'flame' piece shows great versatility

Enjoyed the thread

Adam D555 :twisted:  :twisted:

btw http://www.potteryglass.com/index.htm is the cheapest site for high quality glass and ceramics I have found, often cheaper than eBay - their shipping rates are also very reasonable
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand