No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ruda Glasbruk  (Read 14067 times)

Offline paradisetrader

• Members
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2005, 12:10:27 AM »
Adam
Your brown piece looks to be the same as the one that started this thread off  http://brightgems.net/glass/BG015.jpg. Thanks for the better pic of it.
It would seem to be what Vidfletch is refering to here :
The brown/amber pieces are from the "Orient" series.

and the blue is I guess what he is talking about here.
The most common pieces are in Cobalt Blue and are from the series called "Kobolt". Obviously! LOL!!!

These are the ones I've seen most of.

Just to be clear what I was refering to in may last post
What an extroidnary piece and not at all what I would associate with Ruda stylisically going by their other items.

was the orange and yellow piece ...not the green one currently on Ebay.

It's opaque but is it cased ?
Thats not at all obvious to me from the pic........hmmm
Pete

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2005, 01:22:03 PM »
Thanks for your comments guys!

I will have a clear bowl on Ebay quite soon along with several more Ruda items. I sold several Ruda vases, mugs and plates earlier this year. The big brown vase in Adams picture went for £42.

I am still in the process of getting more information on Ruda Glasbruk. Even my contacts in Sweden know little!

The flame vase is not transparent or even opaque when held up to the light. It does not appear to be cased in the conventional sense. Very little light shines from anywhere! The interior is yellow it may be that the are case on the bottom half with the solid orange colour but its hard to tell.

Adam, I have included lots of information on Ruda Glasbruk and Gote Augustsson earlier in this thread on page 1.

Vidfletch :D

Sklounion

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2005, 09:03:45 PM »
Hi, can I be a serious pain in the proverbials?

I've watched this discussion, argued with David 555 re vase bases, but we do need to lay a certain vase with raised triangles to rest.

David seemed to be absolutely convinced that his grey/smoke vase with facetted base, with depression base was Czech. Me, I'm adamant ( or mistaken) it is nothing of the sort. Recently I was sent an image of a green variant of this vase.
Sadly, copyright issues prohibit me from showing you what I mean. However, please extend me the courtesy, benefit of the doubt, when I say, the colour/shade/tint/ of green involved, would never have come from any Czechoslovakian glass company, in fact the only area I have ever seen that colour offered, as a regular occurence, is Scandinavia,  both Orrefors and Holmegaard, have offered a colour consistent with that green, and the only place where I have seen that facetted base is Ruda.

Can we please try to eliminate this as an APITA piece?

Thanks,

Marcus

APITA= (Annoying Pain in the A***)

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2005, 09:16:46 PM »
Sorry, but you have lost me? Were you talking about this on a different thread?

This thread has just shot off a tangent! LOL!!!

Can you explain what vase you mean?

Cheers.

Sklounion

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »

Offline David555

• Members
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2005, 02:50:53 AM »
I did not mean to use the word cased in my post about the second 'flame' vase - I can see that it is not (no clear glass base to the bottom) - that would be no surprise as most of Ruda textured vases are not cased either - your description Vidfletch makes me feel it is a solid coloured or opaque glass - I have vases from different companies like this, its amazing how they blended the two colours together, looks like colour has been sprayed on bottom half

Marcus - you are no certainly no pain in the arse - I put my vase in that thread as I thought it was Czech - I then got into a tumble debate with some members about the base being so similar to the Sklo Union bullet vases - in fact it went off thread which was as much my fault as anyone’s - you are right to say that the base of the green and even the grey vase may not mean a Czech Sklo Union connection - in fact they are very like some Ruda pieces I have had, and they are also not cased, I am glad you raise the point and have seen a similar item to cause more investigation - I suffer sometimes from the 'Big Guns' opinions, they have had them down as Czech for some time - you know the guys that are always calling things 'Oberglas' or 'Polish' or 'Chinese'

I had a whole debate (ahem) with one guy as he called all 1960s Oberglas rubbish (I think some of it is so fantastic) and said they were 'bottom feeders', recently he was calling a lovely striped sommerso vase a newbie put on 'from his local Chinese' hardware store -  :x

I really want to make a stand against this as such glibness stops proper research especially when a member carries such weight

Anyway ... that’s my grumble for the day - thanks for lads for continuing this thread (adding more info) and  Marcus, I will look into those vases a bit more - the website I mentioned is really good at attributions and they are based in Sweden - I might send them some pics

btw here are two items (I know its a bit off thread) I was told were 'just Czech' or Bohemian of no value or interest - to be fair Frank has got a section in his website on the orange/green type vases - he says rightly that it is not Monart but of good quality and c1930, I think he is doing research into these - but you want to hear most others - I mean I love the bowl it is so uranium filled you don't need a UV light to see it glow LOL - I have these boxed away as czech of no real interest, I guess that is not really good enough - for me anyway as others opinions count, not just the 'Well quoted' as we say in Glasgow

Back on topic, http://www.potteryglass.com/swedish.htm if you scan down the page to the bowls and even the brown bottle vase you can see the deep well with base rim polished - also interesting to see the faceted circle raising from the base on one item and the very distinct mould lines

My mind is more open - I am not saying Ruda, but similarity in technique may as Marcus says indicate a non Czech manufacturer - these have always been washed away as cheap Czech (I actually love 60s 70s Czech) by authorities - Marcus mentioned in his last thread as he does in this, that may not be the case

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/czech%20copy1.jpg

http://publish.hometown.aol.co.uk/blackcatgla/images/bases%20copy3.jpg
David is my Father's name, 555 is the number of man ('The Pixies'), but please call me ADAM P.

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2005, 11:51:59 PM »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I thought I would show everyone a new piece of Ruda that has recently passed through my hands!

I don't know the proper name for this range but I call it "Flame" for obvious reasons! This and the clear Ruda pieces are not very common.

It is about 4" high and has the Ruda and Gote Augustsson labels.

Vidfletch, there are two in the same range here: http://www.old-items.com/Frameset.asp?sida=Ruda.asp
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2005, 08:42:22 PM »
I have made up a Ruda Glasbruk photo album on Yahoo. It contains pieces I have owned and pieces I have seen.

I have some more pieces on the way to me and will add their photos too.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vidfletch2001/album?.dir=/cd35&.src=ph&.tok=ph8hp0DBJ4Byf9Jt

I hope it is of interest.

Offline Anne E.B.

• Members
    • U.K.
Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2005, 08:56:08 PM »
A fabulous resource Vidfletch :P  And I was able to identify a couple of Aseda pieces too.  Thanks very much for your hard work and generosity :lol:

Regards - Anne E.B. :wink:
Anne E.B

vidfletch

Ruda Glasbruk
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2005, 08:46:05 PM »
I have found some more info on Ruda Glasbruk after more research.

It appears that Ruda were successful and kept going purely by the industrial glass they made for the likes of Electrolux and Alfa-Laval. The art glass never ever made any money. The industrial glass paid for it! Eventually there could not have been enough business from that either and the end was nigh!

I have found another colour series! "Clear Rustik"! The pattern moulding is the same as "Orient" but it is in clear glass not brown. See the photo below. Not the best photo I admit. I have not actually come across this one yet

This is not the same as the other clear colour series "Demant". This is
more like Ice. See the photos below of an ashtray I recently sold.

As usual, if I find anymore info I'll share it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand