No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Ebony & Gold SS005  (Read 3796 times)

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Ebony & Gold SS005
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2007, 04:00:49 PM »
Everyone,

Can we get some more examples of this shape please? Ideally get include a picture of the base and rim.

There are other makers who used this technique another Scottish one is Tweedsmuir and those are less finely finished than the Stuart versions. I have not handled IOW Azurene yet so it would be interesting to have some detailed pictures of those too... anyone?

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2007, 04:10:58 PM »
Looking at this one, the rim looks fire polished, not cut and ground but I can't be certain. Certainly we need to see more examples.

The mark you refer to looks like a chip, certainly enough to get it classed as a second if considered good enough to sell! Does it have a sharp edge to the mark or any clue as to what caused it?

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2007, 07:59:08 PM »
Hi Y'all,
Further to my previous message on this subject I can now show some pictures of the two SS005 similar vases that I currently have in my collection. I will also show an example of an albeit different pattern Ebony & Gold vase that I recently sold on Ebay that had the Stuart etched marks. These are on  TinyPic, I will transfer them over later if required.
Please note that the one vase is not purple but more of an aubergine or red wine colour. the black vase weighs 120gms and the aubergine vase 200gms. I also show the bases of the unmarked pieces. The last photo shows the marked Stuart SS007 vase.
http://i10.tinypic.com/2jetkll.jpg
http://i14.tinypic.com/4hxdezt.jpg
http://i16.tinypic.com/3ys2fyg.jpg

Hope this does not create more confusion.

Cheers,
Bryn (not Brian)

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2007, 10:41:13 PM »
Knowing nothing about these types of vases, I can only comment on what I see in the photos.

And to me, Romy's vase and Bryn's "aubergine" example are the same shape, with the same "lines / ripples / tooling marks" to the neck and also seem to have the same finish to the rim. Unless they were blown into mould with neck ripples, I'd say they were made by the same hand!
KevinH

Offline romy

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2007, 11:30:07 PM »
The mark you refer to looks like a chip, certainly enough to get it classed as a second if considered good enough to sell! Does it have a sharp edge to the mark or any clue as to what caused it?
No sharp edges, Frank, and no chips.  There are several of these elongated vertical marks (tooling, as Kev suggests) around the neck, and they do look as if they were part of the manufacturing process. The top and base are identical to Bryn's black vase, but Bryn's black looks perfect around the neck area. The aubergine does appear to have similar tooling marks, though they look quite insignificant compared to mine. But it's hard to tell from a photo.

The weight of mine is just over 130gms, heavier than Bryn's black, but height differences might account for that: the photo on Frank's site gives a height of 3.5", if memory serves, and the Millers' example is 4.25". Mine's somewhere in between.

I seem to have opened up a can of worms. Hope we can come to some conclusion!

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2007, 12:07:44 AM »
Well this is proving a topic of great importance. As Stuart Strathearn is not really an Ysart Glass I feel the topic belongs in the main glass forum.

So who made the aubergine?

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2007, 09:11:50 PM »
Just to add a little to my photo's and facts, both my vases stand at 3.75" tall.
Bryn (not Brian)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand