No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edit: Now: Souvenir Paperweights Was :Photo weights  (Read 4439 times)

Offline karelm

• Members
Edit: Now: Souvenir Paperweights Was :Photo weights
« on: January 06, 2007, 10:22:16 AM »
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4481
http://glassgallery.yobunny.org.uk/displayimage.php?pos=-4480
(I hope I used the gallery correctly!!)
I bought these two weights today and have a couple of questions that I will appreciate help on:
Are these considered as paperweights or as something else? Edit:They are souvenir paperweights...Should have known that!
Are there people that collect these or a place on the web where more info can be obtainedYes there is a ebay group but little info on Souvenir weights?
Any idea of age, I was told 1920-1930.  I could find a photograph on the web that is similar to the larger one and the dating seems about right.
Any idea on value or a reference for values?
For those that may be interested in more information:
Both are German in origin, the smaller one depicts the town of Jugenheim in central Germany and the larger the church “Maria drei Eichen” (I think that translates to “Maria of the three Oaks”.  Both have these inscriptions on the photos. The smaller one it is printed on and the larger looks as if may have been written onto the photo.
The pictures have been attached to the base and are not in the glass itself.
They are 5cm and 7cm in diameter and both about 2 cm high.
Kind newbie regards  ;D
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline KevinH

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • England
Re: Edit: Now: Souvenir Paperweights Was :Photo weights
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 09:17:52 PM »
Yes, the Gallery images are fine.

Picture, or Souvenir, weights of the type you show range from 19th to early 20th century.

As far as I know, there is no formal literature on these as they are very common and are at the basic level of gift items. It might be fascinating if somebody was to produce a book covering the types of these weights and some of the history about the places or characters depicted, but I doubt that will happen as there are so many and the subjects are so various.

As for value, not a lot. Currently, searching eBay for "souvenir paperweight" (to limit the hits to a manageable number) shows some in the USA with starting or buy it now prices from $5 to $10. Another in UK has a buy it now of £10.
KevinH

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
    • The Crown Crystal Glass Company of Australia
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 08:18:01 AM »
Perhaps some of them may have more value to people who have a sentimental attachment to the subjects? I guess in that regard, they would be similar to postcards and other souvenirs.

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2007, 08:24:10 AM »
Perhaps some of them may have more value to people who have a sentimental attachment to the subjects? I guess in that regard, they would be similar to postcards and other souvenirs.
Very true, Cathy.  I don't include this sort of weight in my collection, but recently I thought about buying one which came up on ebay with a picture of the Crystal Palace at Sydenham.  The only reason I considered it was because my mother actually recalled seeing the Crystal Palace burn when she lived at Sydenham as a child!   
Leni

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 04:48:17 AM »
Some years ago I walked into an antiques and collectibles shop hunting for paperweights. When I asked the proprietor if she has any she showed me case after cased filled with 'picture' weights. They weren't even photographs. They were subjects like teddybears, angels and whatnot printed on foil on the backs. She had bought a load of them from someone hoping to appeal the the paperweight collector. I sincerely felt sorry for her.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 05:00:29 AM »
Were the foil printed teddies etc even old?

I'm just taking my cue here from 'view ware', which is what they call those souvenirs made from photos stuck to the bottoms of pressed glass dishes. These always do a bit better ($AUD 10-20) if they're of something iconic, like the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Still, not worth much.

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 05:09:30 AM »
They were brand new. They looked like the 'stuff' I see in souvenir shops all the time. I suppose there are people who collect them. I have never met any.
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 05:31:27 AM »
Good grief.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:54:41 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Having a look around, souvenir weights are actually a good way of starting a collection. My reasoning is that I am going to be paying upwards of $100 for an average paperweight and upward of $1000 for a good one. (for example I saw ebay item no:330069498740 when the bidding was about $135 and said to my wife it is not even worth bidding on that because I'll never be able to reach close to what it is going to go for..it went for $1700..and that was a good value buy I believe!).
Anycase, for a vintage souvenir weight I should be paying under $20.  So as a beginner I'll still be looking for a nice Murano or Ysart or any other nice weight that I can build my collection on BUT at the same time I'll be buying a lot more souvenit weights.  Comments???
karelm
PS The souvenir weights will NOT include any of Glasstrufflehunter's foil teddies ;D ;D ;D
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Cathy B

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »
If they appeal to you, go for it! Always collect what you like.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand