No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Edit: Now: Souvenir Paperweights Was :Photo weights  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Lustrousstone

• Members
    • Warrington, UK
    • My Gallery
Re: Edit: Now: Souvenir Paperweights Was :Photo weights
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 07:57:58 AM »
There's nothing wrong with collecting souvenir paperweights. Souvenir ware is just another collecting field and in many ways quite challenging because much of it was cheap and therefore disposable. I have yet to find a good paperweight that I am prepared to afford (keeping a medical student doesn't come cheap). Much of the fun of collecting lies in the hunting. If you never find anything you can afford, there's not much fun to be had. Apparently experiences bring greater pleasure than possessions. Collect souvenir paperweights and have both, but keep your eyes open for that hidden treasure!

BTW When I was talking about hunting/finding I didn't really mean ebay, I meant in the real world. When I started collecting I found a pretty china plate for 20p. After I'd looked it up, I decided to collect this particular make covering the 20s, 30s and 40s. It isn't expensive and it isn't uncommon but although I bought plenty of it on ebay to this day I've only spotted about four pieces/sets worth buying in shops, flea markets or boot sales. It was pretty but there was no fun in the hunt. It's all packed up now waiting to be recycled on you know where

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Leni

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 09:09:57 AM »
Someone in the Paperweight Collectors Circle was commenting that young people don't seem to collect paperweights these days.  I think it's obvious why not! They can't afford them - I know I can't really afford to buy what I'd like to :( :-[   But if you like Millefiori weights I would recommend collecting Peter McDougall weights.  They really are very pretty, and excellent value!  John D millefiori weights are cheap and good value for money, too.  OK, they probably aren't ever going to rival Baccarat or Clichy, ::) but you could start a pretty little collection with these, at very reasonable prices.
Leni

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline glasstrufflehunter

• Members
    • My Yahoo 360 page & Paperweight Blog
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2007, 10:08:11 AM »
You can find some really pretty Muranos for under 20. They're so colourful and I love the variety of italian canes. I found a couple with grape cluster canes not long ago. The Italians also make very, very nice crown weights. I especially love the ones with aventurine. I pick up one or two each month as I comb ebay for bargains. I think I am on my way to becoming a serious collector of Italian weights.

I actually prefer McDougall over Clichy and Baccarat. His millefiori is colourful, intricate and astoundingly perfect. His miniatures are jewel-like and very affordable. (I have a bunch of them) JD's general range millefiori are pastel beauties and quite affordable. My newest JD I got with a Christmas bonus. It was erm a little more expensive. It features a glittery midnite blue ground that I could not resist.  ;D

The best place for McDougall and JD is http://www.paperweightsplus.com/
I collect Scottish and Italian paperweights and anything else that strikes my fancy.

My Paperweight Blog

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2007, 08:17:43 PM »
For starters, thanks for all the responses, I appreciate it a lot that more experienced people are prepared to take time to respond to a beginner. THANKS!
I will try to respond to each response … if that makes sense:
Cathy B:
They appeal… but a Millifior is just is so much better.   But one cant buy one regularly without seriously running out of beer money >:D
Lustrousstone:….about buying online…and eBay particularly I am posting a separate topic…hopefully I don’t get ditched for posting to much!
I understand what you say about the real world.  I am lucky enough to live about 2 streets away from one of the best “flea markets” in Europe, held every Saturday.  If you love glass and you are ever in this neck of the woods (Vienna, Austria) please let me know I will be glad to take anybody there!!!  There is nothing like seeing something 2 tables away and getting closer and closer and then realizing it is/or isn’t what you thought it was.  (And even worse…then buying it and later realizing it is junk!!! That’s why I have an unidentified weigh (dated 1908) sitting right next to a piece that I believe may be a mass manufactured weight that looks like a troll  :(… and I am insulting trolls!)
Leni:
I have done a search and had a look at both JD and PM weights and they are really good value. True they may not be an “investment” but if you want one of those you should be buying stocks and bonds or short selling oil.  Who knows maybe one day my daughter may say that I made a shrewd investment with that paperweight with the thistle in the centre!
Sorry for the long post ;D
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand