No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish Vase...  (Read 4371 times)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Finnish Vase...
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2007, 01:30:44 AM »
Miller's books are great for identification (although it's still best to do your own research whenever possible) and do often come in handy. I would still recommend owning one or two of them!

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2007, 09:22:06 AM »
Miller's books are great for identification

Although they even get that wrong sometimes...

I think any attribution from anywhere on an unmarked piece needs to be double checked - unless the piece is fully marked, any decision on attribution is always going to be based on someone's opinion.
Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 10:14:29 AM »
My ever so grateful thanks to all the very very kind people who have provided information about this vase especially romy - many thanks. I'm forever amazed at the knowledge and teh speed with which it is shared on this forum. Many many thanks.. I'm learning lots.

Steve

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 11:39:40 AM »
Hi may I just point out that whilst Romy is correct to point out the Millers attribution to the designer being Aimo Okkolin for Riihimaki - these are also attributed in other reference sources as being by Tamara Aladin.  I sold one identical to Steve's (but it had a very small crack in it of about 5mm) for £15 on eBay a few months back and, despite much digging and researching, I wasn't able to positively attribute it to either one of them.  The retail price for these would be as Nic says about £25-£30 although I'd dispute that they can be picked up for a fiver anymore on eBay - not these days anyway.

Offline lyndhurst44

• Members
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 12:15:15 PM »
Hi,
Santa was very kind to me this year and brought me a copy of Leslie Pina's Scandinavian Glass 1930 - 2000 Fire and Sea. On page 29 there are a number of very very similar shaped vases to Steve's all attributed to Riihimaki and Aimo Okkolin and discribed as Rocket or Lamp shape and dated 1960's.  Height varying between 5" to 8"  with a very impressive $125 to $225 guide price. These often would have an acid stamped mark and the number 1436.
Hope this helps and not just create more confusion. ???

Bryn (not Brian)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 12:29:08 PM »
It just goes to show Bryn the huge variation in price estimates between printed sources - I'd be staggered if one of these particular vases ever reached that sort of money.  Possibly the etched ones might fetch a little bit more - all the ones I've ever had in this shape were not marked however - but $125 is extremely optimistic marked or unmarked IMO - I think hubby and I have giggled at the prices in that book before.  I use them for attribution only and tend not to take much notice of the prices in any of these books - I reach my prices based on a number of factors including an average of what they've sold for at auctions (both online and RL), how much it might be priced up in another online shop plus I take a look at how much it would cost me to go out and buy a new, similar, type item from somewhere like Heals or Habitat.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 01:00:01 PM »
Miller's books are great for identification

Although they even get that wrong sometimes...

That's why I also recommended doing your own research too - I've seen Miller's attribute cheap Polish glass to Whitefriars before!  :o

I sold one identical to Steve's (but it had a very small crack in it of about 5mm) for £15 on eBay a few months back [...] I'd dispute that they can be picked up for a fiver anymore on eBay...

It's possible, then, that these were in a mini-slump when I was searching for auction prices.  ??? Pretty much every piece of relatively plain Riihimaen was ending between £5-£10 (or less), and this was over a period of about a month. It might be worth getting that one in Nottingham now.  ;D

...attributed to Riihimaki and Aimo Okkolin and discribed as Rocket or Lamp shape and dated 1960's.

That's odd - usually this is the vase refered to as the 'Rocket' shape, and often attributed to Okkolin:

Rocket (?) Vase

Offline Max

• Global Moderator
  • Members
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 01:04:00 PM »
Interesting.  Bryn, have you seen the 'tulip' (for want of a better name) vase in the initial posting, or the 'rocket' vase (ditto) with an acid etched mark?  I never have personally.  ???  Not saying you're wrong, just trying to fill my gaps.  :)

The only place I've seen the 'rocket' vase attributed to Okkolin is in Millers guides, so I've always taken it with a pinch of salt.  Having said that, I did say the same for the 'tulip' vase, but I do trust Andy McConnell, who spent a long time visiting the factories if he says that one is definitely by Okkolin.  I'll ask him about the 'rocket' when next I see/speak to him.

Edited to add: The 'rocket' shape that Nic and I are thinking of isn't on Page 29 of Fire & Sea, so we're barking up the wrong tree accidentally.   ;)
I am not a man

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 06:34:04 PM »
So straying off topic a little... for someone like me who just buys glass I like the look of... What's a good book to help with id'ing stuff?

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 07:15:03 PM »
I'll agree with Max here - the new(ish) Andy McConnell book is BRILLIANT!  Really all of them have their uses and merits - get as many as you can afford would be my recommendation.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand