No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Finnish Vase...  (Read 4357 times)

Offline stevetheb

• Members
Finnish Vase...
« on: January 06, 2007, 11:40:07 PM »
It's Saturday.. I've been shopping and invested a whole £1.50 in this vase... (One day I must buy some flowers and actually use these things!)

The photos not brilliant, I think I need some brighter lights.  The vase is the same shade of green all over and there's most of a Blue and silver (I think) label that says MADE IN FINL on it... so I'm guessing it's a sensible guess that it's Finnish.. unless there's a small Norwegian town with a glassworks in FINLEHAMMER... or something like that...

Anyway.. can kind person place it to a maker (and I have to say I've googled Finnish glass for most of the afternoon.

http://www.kammneves.co.uk/glass/finnish.jpg

Many thanks

Steve

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Re: Finnish Vase...
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 11:53:47 PM »
They're usually bunged on eBay as Riihimaen - but I can't say for certain if they are. I would guess so.

Your partial label might be part of their Finncristall export label - I can't really see from the photograph.

Edit: There's a full Finncristall label here: AUCTION LINK

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2007, 12:02:11 AM »
Thanks for that Nic.. it's not that... I'm guessing from the look of the part i have that it was a single line of text saying MADE IN FINLAND... but thanks for the ident...

Offline romy

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2007, 12:29:46 AM »
I love it, and it's almost certainly Riihimaki. Designer: Aimo Okkolin. Design no: 6012.

According to Millers 20th Century Glass (page 207), it was one of his last designs, made from 1982. No idea how many sizes it was made in, but the one in the guide is 24.5cms, with an approx. value of £30.  8)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
As a note, you should always be wary of Millers' guide prices - they're usually WAY off the mark. These vases generally fetch £5-10 on eBay. £20-25 is pretty much top end retail price for them.

Offline stevetheb

• Members
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2007, 12:42:50 AM »
I'm not planning on selling it so it's value isn't really an issue. Though of course is always useful to know. Even a £5 would be  a good profit margin.  Though not as good as my Whitefriars vase with the cut fish!

Offline romy

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 12:45:09 AM »
If I could pick this up for £5-£10 on Ebay, I'd be a VERY happy woman. My experience of Ebay has been that it's almost impossible to pick up anything worthwhile below retail price, but maybe I've just been unlucky? ???

Offline romy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 12:49:54 AM »
I'm not planning on selling it so it's value isn't really an issue.
Perhaps not, but at least I've done some digging and answered your question, thus saving you another fruitless afternoon!
Regards from 'kind person' waiting for thanks... ;)

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 01:04:46 AM »
There's one of these vases in blue that's been pottering about in a second-hand shop in Nottingham for about 9 months at £6.50. It looks sad and lonely, so I'll probably eventually buy it.  ;D

But here's one on eBay which recently finished at a little above £10: Auction Link - but I would say that's an above-average price. When I was looking online to see if it would be worth buying the Nottingham one to sell on at a profit, they were mostly ending at £5. Either the market is on the rise again, or you have just landed unlucky in your searches!

Offline Carolyn Preston

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 01:22:57 AM »
As a note, you should always be wary of Millers' guide prices - they're usually WAY off the mark.

Interesting. I was looking at said  book at a local bookstore trying to rid myself (in the best way possible) of some Christmas loot in the form of a gift card from said bookstore. Millers was to be had for the price of 45.00 dollars.  :o  That would have been it for the gift card so I decided against it. Rather glad now.  :)

Carolyn

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand