No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Turquoise/white cased vase with 'snowflake' pattern = OPALINA FIORENTINA  (Read 8975 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Hi all, I've been contacted by someone browsing my site who has this vase they'd appreciate an ID on.  The owner was told it was Swedish and that's my gut feeling also (perhaps Elme?) but I'm really not sure.  With the owner's permission I've posted their photograph below and wonder if anyone here knows more about it - cheers!

Offline Della

• Members
  • Addicted to glass!
    • Costa Teguise, Lanzarote

Hi Pip,

I have seen a similar one on the board, like yours, a good few months ago. It was Max's I think and was living in her shed (I could be way off mark here  ::) ) I will see if I can find the thread again, but it was about 14 months ago.
My gut feeling is Italian, but again, I could be way off the mark.  :-\
If I know, I'll comment. If I think I know, I'll have a go. If I have no idea, I'll just keep quiet and learn from others, so the next time I'll know.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
Empoli, Italy, if memory serves...

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Thanks Nic and Della - I'll pass this onto the chap who's vase it is.  It's funny but I never think of Italy when I'm faced with this sort of glass - it just never crosses my mind - I've made a mental note to try and think of ITALY instead of always assuming Scandi!!!!

Connie

I *think* Ivo posted on in an amber overlay. But I can't remember any of the terms used to describe it in order to do a search.

But I think that Nic is correct in that it was eventually identified as Empoli.

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK

Connie

Good sleuthing, Nic.  I was half-right  ;D

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Thanks everyone - that's great!  I know the owner has been watching this thread who I'm sure is grateful to you all.   On a separate note, I've got a blue knobbly hobnail type cased vase I'm wondering if it's Empoli also - I'll bung it on a new thread  ;D

Offline Pinkspoons

• Members
    • UK
And with label: Auction

Offline flying free

• Members
    • UK
Sorry to drag this one up again but I have lots of cased glass and I'm always curious to see them with labels.  I have a green vase the same as the blue one at the top of this thread and I've just seen one with a label on that doesn't say Opalina Fiorentina as far as I can see (I've asked the owner for a picture of the labels but yet to return to me).
As far as I can read, there is a top label that says '_avorazione a ____ano' then underneath on the same label what looks like  'C______ in Toscana . Italia '  the label has a strip going down on the left hand side with a pic of a glassblower on it.
Underneath that is another label that says 'MOD DEPOSITATO  Made in Italy'.

Just curious to know if this is an Opalina Fiorentina label then?
m

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand