No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: New weight  (Read 3028 times)

Offline mjr

• Members
New weight
« on: January 09, 2007, 09:13:24 PM »
Picked  this one up at the weekend. Not my usual thing.  The writing on it says "greeting from Viena". I reckon it is Bohemian or there abouts and made for the tourist market, hence the poor grammar and spelling of "Viena".
Consists of yellow trumpet flowers with the small flowers and writing on the top.
Comment appreciated

[/img]
Martin

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: New weight
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »
Neat :)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2007, 07:44:20 AM »
Frank

You are a man of few words!!
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2007, 09:08:16 AM »
Indeed, but you did ask for comments :) The morning's thought is that perhaps the text combined with the design underneath it provide clear documentation about the origin of the particular style used. I do not find the weight particularly attractive other than as a piece of research evidence. But where does it lead you?

The spelling - the Austrians use Wien, so, to a not very well educated glassmaker might know that the English used a V and ended with an a but the use of double n would not come obviously. So native Austrian is my guess.

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2007, 04:39:30 PM »
I currently stay in Vienna and took the liberty to show the photos to a couple of the local dealers today.  Their verdict ranged from "East Block" to Bohemia or Chec.  Dates ranged from recent (this guy I dont really know and it is the first time I've been in his shop and I hope he gets a lot of "recent" weights at bargain prices  ;D) to betwen 1900-1920.
They all agreed that it was not made here as nobody has record or knows of anyone ever making weights in Austria. Also the quality is not consistent with the general quality of glasswork in Austria.
Now to complicate the matter there are a couple of places named Viena (note the single "n").
There is one in Greece that could have been touristy and then there is one in the old Russia, which could explain the East BlocK manufacture (and a search on the web shows several others).  I do not think that many English tourists went to the East Block though.
Now in case you are not confused on the origin of the weight yet I would like to mention that there are several places in the USA named Vienna (double "n").  Now if one follows the argument above and asumes that a lot of people, and many of them were craftsman, imigrated to the USA at the turn of the century (not this one the other one) and many of them may have had limited english and maybe even less literacy..........
I hope that makes the origin of the weight clear. ;D ??? >:D
Kind regards
karelm
Karel
"Holy cows make the best steaks"

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2007, 06:14:56 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2007, 09:09:37 PM »
May I qoute:
"Frank

You are a man of few words!! "

Kind regards
karelm

PS: I personally think it is the only weight ever made in the Falkland Islands....and I'll have 2 sugars and a bit of milk with that in the Cafe ;D ;D
Karel

Offline mjr

• Members
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2007, 10:00:32 PM »
that's interesting info  (particularly the local Viennese perspective) even though we are no closer to a positive identification.
I do like it when I pick up an unusual weight that provides so much amusement and becomes a point of discussion  Well worth the £15 paid.
Martin

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2007, 10:38:21 PM »
Indeed it is Martin, so what do YOU think about it?

Offline karelm

• Members
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 06:14:26 AM »
Martin, Have you had a look at the "Viena" angle yet? I particularly liked the look of the Greek one as it would fit in with the tourist/souvenir angle.  Just not sure about their being people there that could have made it!!
Karel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand