No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Vasart/Monart help regarding ink bottles with paperweights in  (Read 2307 times)

Offline BJB

• Members
Hi All,

And a Happy New Year to everyone, just wish it wasn't so WINDY.

In my local Antique Centre, there is one cabinet which sells quite nice glass among other things, and they have a paperwight ink bottle, with a brass collar, and paperweights in the base and top. It is claimed to be Vasart, but I don't know if they made such items.

I do like it, but at £170 (I can have it for my Wedding Aniversary pressie 20 wonderful, so he says! years) I don't want to be sold a dud.

It does not look like the modern ones on eBay with the removable stoppers,but I have no idea if Vasart or Monart made anything like this. I would like to take a photo, but the owner doesn't like you doing this.

thanks,

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
Re: Vasart/Monart help regarding ink bottles with paperweights in
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 04:12:58 PM »
Brass collar would be repaired. See Kev's articles for more data http://www.btinternet.com/~kevh.glass/pages/Inkwells/Inkwells.htm

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 04:15:14 PM »
These are also made by Paul Ysart, Caithness, Peter Holmes, J ohn D eacons, William Manson. All have their unique characteristics but there can be some confusion at times.

Offline BJB

• Members
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 06:06:40 PM »
Hi Frank,

Thank you very much for the information, and the pictures, I really can't do anything without seeing a picture of it. I seem to remember things better in picture form.

Now I have a much better idea about what to look for, I shall have it out of the cabinet again ( and try to take a picture on my daughters phone camera >:D ) and look at the canes this time rather than the base alone.

Think I shall put the money towards another piece, but what I have no idea yet. I know more what I don't want than what I do!

Thanks once again,

Barbara

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline Frank

• Author
  • Members
    • Glass history
    • Europe
    • Gateway
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 07:55:36 PM »
Watch out for fakes though, these tend to fetch a fair bit of money now and there is at least one Scottish glassmaker producing fakes, probably more.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand