No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Blue Glass Piggy Bank  (Read 8857 times)

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Blue Glass Piggy Bank
« on: January 09, 2007, 11:32:42 PM »
Me again  ;D  I've got this blue glass piggy bank, it was filthy when I bought it and has evidence of age related wear, it also has a 1961 silver sixpence inside it.  Any ideas on the maker?  It looks nothing like the Holmegaard piggies in my books - cheers for any help ...

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_5559.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g60/pips-trip/IMG_5566.jpg

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Blue Glass Piggy Bank - Cascade, England???
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 07:13:13 PM »
Hi again, I've found a very similar glass piggy bank in amber glass with a label on it which reads 'Cascade, England' - it looks to have a lot in common with my blue piggy bank.  Despite Googling I can't find any information about this company and I've not heard of them before - does it ring any bells with anyone on here?

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Offline sph@ngw

• Members
Re: Blue Glass Piggy Bank
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 09:03:30 PM »
I have a recollection that "Cascade Glass" was a trade mark used ( with a black and silver label of a fountain cascading down by one of our pressware comeptitors now defunct. So it may be Waterstone Glass of Wath upon Wear near Rotherham, Wodd Bros, or Trent Valley.
I have not seen a catalogue for ages, and I left my archives on defunct British Glass to the Broadfield House Museum in Kingswinford, near Stourbridge. A call to Roger Dodsworth the curator ( and author of "British Glass between the Wars" may solve the mystery!
The blue looks like Waterstone who made mainly bottles and ashtrays and a few things like eye baths in that blue. (See Eyebath website for Woods as well!)
Sorry not a definite solution but a lead perhaps...
Fancy giving away my archives in July and deciding in September to start collecting British Domestic Glass! Doah! What a plonker! ::)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pip

• Members
    • Pips Trip Online Shop
Re: Blue Glass Piggy Bank
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2007, 09:19:07 PM »
.......Sorry not a definite solution but a lead perhaps...
Fancy giving away my archives in July and deciding in September to start collecting British Domestic Glass! Doah! What a plonker! ::)

Thanks for that Stephen - that's really helpful I'll follow the information up.  I've put my piggy up for sale but it's a nice little thing and a strong colour which seems to be generating quite a lot of interest (watchers) so I'd quite like to find out more in case I come across another in the future.  ;D I've been laughing at your 'plonker' comment - maybe that's a little harsh though, my daughter would call you a 'divvie' not a plonker  ;D

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand