No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: SKLO vase - ID = Jiri Brabec for Rosice  (Read 3973 times)

Offline josordoni

• Members
    • United Kingdom
    • Josordoni Collectables
SKLO vase - ID = Jiri Brabec for Rosice
« on: September 12, 2007, 02:29:06 PM »
I am pretty sure this is a SKLO vase, and that Ive seen it before somewhere, but I've been working through both Marcus' and Pressglas-Korrespondenz with no luck, so I hope Marcus (or anyone else who recognises it of course!) can have a look here and give me a guiding hand.

Lovely turquoise colour, 7 ins 175 mm tall, typical base,

Thank you very much!

Lynne
x
Josordoni Collectables - eBay Store

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
Re: SKLO vase
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 09:33:00 PM »
hmm, interesting one this. I'm still doing research, but I haven't found it yet which doesn't bode well for a positive SU attribution. Tho, if any one can trace it, it'd be Marcus of course!
I have a couple, and bought my first some years ago. I',m pretty sure I have a jardiniere form somewhere as well, which would be consistent with many Sklo Union factories (vases and jardinieres as part of the range) - but doesn't mean it certainly is. Even then only certain designs were produced in both forms. Of course, thank to Marcus, we also now know that the birdbath base doesn't guarantee that it is by a Sklo Union factory. A sensible thing to do would be to compare colours to known SU designs, but I'd need to go and get and then unpack my collection - always a delightful treat, but alas I have no time right now. Does anyone else have a large collection and time?!
Personally it is one of my favourite Central European pressed glass designs, regardless of what it actually is, along with the dark green Jan Sylvester Drost design on Marcus' site. 'T would have been nice if the Drost had been SU, but once you get over it and look at the vase... :-)
Mark
www.markhillpublishing.com
Text and images © Mark Hill

Offline MarkHill

• Author
  • Members
    • Mark Hill Publishing
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »
Oops, sorry. More speed, less haste and all that. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure that I have found this vase - hence the reason why it is packed up rather than in my 'What on earth is it?' pile.
I can't recall the designer's name right now, but I know its not Vizner - I can look it up in my records at work tomorrow. So will post again, unless Marcus has recovered first!
Apologies again,
Mark
Text and images © Mark Hill

Sklounion

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 04:50:58 AM »
Hi,
Jiri Brabec for Rosice, absolutely Sklo Union and an unusual item, in that base and sides carry the pattern. Other examples exist, of decorated bases, but mainly for table-ware patterns.
Regards,
Marcus

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand