No-one likes general adverts, and ours hadn't been updated for ages, so we're having a clear-out and a change round to make the new ones useful to you. These new adverts bring in a small amount to help pay for the board and keep it free for you to use, so please do use them whenever you can, Let our links help you find great books on glass or a new piece for your collection. Thank you for supporting the Board.

Author Topic: Stained glass.... St Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, New York.......  (Read 4933 times)

Offline vidrioguapo

• Members
    • England
Re: Stained glass.... St Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue, New York.......
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »
Hi Leni.  Whitefriars did do commercial stained glass for hospitals, schools , and other businesses, so it would not be out of the question for them to have done designs for normal domestic buildings, especially if the houses were part of an "estate". The Museum of London has over 3,200 designs by W/F apparantly so it may be worth your while sending them your photo to see if they can through any light on it (no pun intended!)

Sue, sorry those two place names are not listed. Cheers  Emmi

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Pinky

• Members
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2007, 08:31:07 PM »
........and I've heard there's a lady who lives in Harrow Weald who's got a stained glass panel in her front door. Incredible Patrick. And studys looking like that with windows like that are the stuff of dreams.

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

Connie

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
Thank you, Emmi.    I will try to take a little photo tour of the church.  I know exactly where it is  ;)

Support the Glass Message Board by finding a book via book-seek.com

Offline Anne

• GMB Tech Support Manager & "Board (never bored) Dame"
  • Global Moderator
  • Members
  • I has a stick to poke the server with yes!
    • Glass trinket sets
    • Cumbria England
    • My Glass Collection
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2007, 11:41:51 PM »
Hi Anne,
 As far as I know only Dennis Hadley has done any serious research into the Stained glass windows of Whitefriars but I could be wrong !

OK, thanks Patrick. I'm assuming he hasn't published it in book form yet?

Hi Anne, Loads in both Cumbria and Lancs.The following are listed, however, it is of course possible that the buildings no longer exist!???

Brilliant! Thanks Emmi - I'll add the info to my list of places to visit - I have a lot of graveyards to visit this year in pursuit of War Grave photos and family history stuff so I can check out the windows in the churches at the same time. I think all the Cumbrian churches still exist - don't know about the Lancs ones you gave though.  I'm nearer to Carnforth, Lancaster, Morecambe, Garstang area which is north Lancashire. Blackburn is east Lancs, Blackpool is west Lancs (about an hour south-west).

I don't know how much there may be local to me as there were two stained glass works in Lancaster whose (fabulous) work appears in many local churches but I have been taking photos of stained glass windows for a while and am slowly trying to get around them all within a reasonable distance of where I live. (Yes they will eventually go online too along with any info I can find about them.)
Cheers! Anne, da tekniqual wizzerd
~ Glass Trinket Sets ~ GlassLinks ~ GlasSpeak ~ GlassGallery 
 ~  Glassoholic Blog ~ Glassoholic Gallery ~

Support the Glass Message Board by finding glass through glass-seek.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk
Visit the Glass Encyclopedia
link to glass encyclopedia
Visit the Online Glass Museum
link to glass museum

This website is provided by Angela Bowey, PO Box 113, Paihia 0247, New Zealand